Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
New Superintendent (Read 39767 times)
still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Re: New Superintendent
Reply #15 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 12:32pm

Dam* you're good but a simple no would have sufficed.  See I can used big words too.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ice-P
God Member

Superhero and President-For-Life
of Stoogeville!!!

Reply #16 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 1:01pm

I'll make it a big word for you.

NO!

I've never killed a person.... but I've read several obituaries with pleasure.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #17 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:35pm

We need to keep an eye on the contract they negotiate with Swopes.

Just found this:

school districts may only employ a superintendent under either a contract for a period not exceeding one year or a performance-based contract for a period not exceeding 5 years. Performance-based contracts shall be linked to student performance and academic improvement within the schools of the district. Each performance-based contract shall include the goals and indicators of student performance and academic improvement.

It will be interesting to see what the school board members expect of this superintendent.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #18 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 5:44pm

Does anyone know what the superintendent position pays???

It appears Dr. Swopes has been "around". It looks like in 2000 he was paid $ 130,313 as "Superintendent of Schools".

Then, it appears that in 2003, he was paid $ 76,595 for ?.

Something doesn't smell quite right here and I don't think it is She/He/IT that I am getting a whif of.

It appears Cairo Public Schools are on life support. We cannot afford another mistake, can we? Unfortunately, we are not going to get the real scoop on why he left a $ 130,000 job for a $ 76,000 job.

The paper reported he was "interim Superintendent". I found "11/9/06
The board also named Schrum Memorial School Assistant Principal Leotis Swopes interim superintendent".

It appears less than a year and a half ago, he was an Assistant Principal.

So we have:

2000 Superintendent of Schools

2003 ? but at substantially lower pay

Completed by: Leotis D.Swopes
Job Title: Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction
E-Mail: lswopes@zion.k12.il.us
Last Updated: Thu Dec 20 09:55:14 2007

2006 Assistant Principal

11/9/06 Interim Superintendent

Why should a "career path" like thiis lead to Cairo? What did we do?

If this information on the internet is correct, NOW is the time to question the school board on why they selected him and what kind of background check they did on him.

The paper quoted swopes as saying, "To make a change, you have to be in control.". How much control are you willing to give this guy?

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #19 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 9:02pm

Wow, it just keeps getting worse! I will visit Calumet City sometime in the next month. We have to do something before our school board negotiates his 5 year contract! 

It in an interesting story how he got promoted to "Interim Superintendent".

Some of the comments I found at:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The interim super couldn't handle lunch supervision and started yelling and students were complaining they were grabbed by him. So much for his wannabe motivational speeches. Practice what you PREACH.

The parent whose child was pushed by the interim made a police report. Good for her!!!!!! The interim will just lie like he does in meetings. He only harasses white teachers and students. One of the children he pushed is really quiet and makes good grades but is hispanic to the interim that's white too. Three MEN can't handle lunch supervison how pathetic.

Does anyone know if swopes was at work today? Just wondering if that little incident will be swept under the carpet also.

Maybe we should go to church Sunday and pray for the students in district 157.But it would be hard for the man above to help these children when the district is run by devils.

2/22/07 Hoover-Schrum Elementary District 157 has, so far, spent nearly double what it budgeted for legal expenses this fiscal year.

This is just proof how out of control it is in school that is has spilled over at the science fair at night. C. Taylor has already been told she is not coming back next year, but what about Swoopes . D157 cannot afford to have this continue in years to come.

FOR THREE DAYS STUDENTS AT SCHRUM WERE HARASSED, JUMPED, BULLIED, AND A STUDENT'S BOOK URINATED ON.

SWOPES IS LYING. A staff member took the gun away from the student. The student was suspended. STUDENTS SAW THE GUN!!!!

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #20 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 3:15am

Wow. Those are opinions of people claiming to be teachers at the school. No way to verify who they are. Still....WOW.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #21 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 9:18am

Exactly, Carla. WOW!

Doesn't it make you wonder why this school board would hire this guy, seven intelligent adults? Unless he lied on his resume/curriculum vitae, it is hard to believe they would hire this guy. And, if he lied, he needs to be fired before he starts. I haven't sorted it all out yet, but he was in Gary IN school year 2005/06. Look like he couldn't stay anyplace more than a year or so. Interesting, the graduation rate in the Gary school district fell from about 80% in 2004/05 to about 40% the year he was there.

I am going back to his career track. I would like to know when he fell off it. Was it just in 2000? Did he hire that attorney who was not allowed to practice law to sue that school district? There are so many courts up around Chicago, it may take me a little bit to find a lawsuit, if one was filed. This guy is 57?, not 25. He cannot say he is changing jobs every year or so because he is trying to find the right fit. How could seven responsible adults not question this and hire him?

The school district he is coming from has spent a fortune on legal fees, buy-out fees and how do you quantify the damage to the students?

Do we want to spend several hundred thousand dollars buying out his contract when we we decide he has done enough damage to our kids?

Another interesting concern for us taxpayers and teachers is that he appears to be very good at getting very large increases in pay from school boards. Must be a very "charming" guy.

I will be back to Cairo next week and will go up to Chicago toward the end of the month. I will request minutes of board meeting from the schools where he taught and as soon as I get his curriculum vitae, I will get a background check going on him. I will also place some ads in papers looking for information.

I think I have found his 3 kids, 2 sons and 1 daughter.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #22 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 10:08am

I think the Cario Citizen's announcement of Dr Leotis Swope's was misleading. Was it intentional, Bobby? Or, did Dr. Swopes misrepresent his position at his previous school? What was his position? We know he was moved from ASSISTANT principal to Interim Superintendent when the superintendent Calumet City had hired misrepresented her qualifications and they created another position for her. She remedied the problem with her credentials in a month or so. It appears the interim position didn't last very long. According to the minutes of their school board meeting, he wasn't interim sup when they hired him in February.

I also found:

WHY IS AN INEXPERIENCE ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL playing PRINCIPAL AT SCHRUM WHEN SWOPES HAS EXPERIENCED AS A PRINCIPAL AND A SUPERINTENDENT? How can he be insubordinate to someone with NO experience as a principal? Didn't he just finish playing Superintendent?

Well, lets see, what is Swopes really here for? He doesn’t like working with kids, he has a CSBO and we know he can work with Rosie. 

You watch though - he'll get another job in the district.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #23 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 10:35am

And, the frosting on the cake:

This allegation was made on the teacher's blog. It needs to be investigated prior to offering this Dr. Swopes his 5 year contract.

****Did you know the interim took the SAT10 tests illegally out of the building and they were missing for some time. Rosie then had to pay someone to score them when they were recovered from his sisters house. Now why would you take tests out of the school, put them in your car, out of town, take them out of your car, and leave them at your sisters house? Sounds like he was tampering with them!!!!!!!!

If this is true, why wasn't it reported? It would seem that the ROE would jump on this A.S.A.P. I was always under the impression that these tests were administered and proctored and scored by independent testing body, and they were NEVER to be out of their sight.

Am I wrong?

I agree with you BWG, but look at how many things have gone on all year long. The State has been called, State's Attorney, etc. etc., yet no one has done anything. Maybe it just wasn't serious enough, but I think you're right - this is serious. WHY did he remove the tests from the building? There was NO reason for that at all. *****

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #24 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 11:08am

Well.... We are getting more answers!

Swopes left Hoover-Schrum at the end of last school year, June 2007, and his position at the time he left was Assistant Principal.

So that puts him at Zion Elem school 2003/2004, Roosevelt Junior High Gary IN school year 2005/2006 and Calumet City school year 2006/2007.

Where has he been the current school year? I thought gaps in a resume were bad? Did the Cairo Citizen not know about Swope's departure last year from Calumet City or did they intentionally try to mislead us?

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #25 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 10:41am

A great education system is so important for Cairo. The schools have to improve before Cairo can improve. We have some nice, vacant homes that could be marketed to families working in KY, but they won't come unless the schools are viewed more positively.

With what I can find on the internet, I have no reason to think that is going to happen with the school board's latest hire, Dr. Leotis Swopes. If you care about Cairo, please start asking questions. If you know a school board member, ask them why they hired him, ask them what they know about him, ask them why they would hire someone with the 2001 - 2008 employment history. I just don't get it.

It will take me a month or two to gather more information. I would appreciate any suggestions or help. We need to know why he left the Posen IL job. An individual I spoke to said they didn't think he finished the school year. So, what happened??? And, do we want the same thing to happen here???

What I have found on the internet:

School Salary Database

Swopes Leotis D $130,313 District Superintendent

POSEN-ROBBINS EL SCH DIST 143-5 DR LEOTIS D SWOPES 14025 HARRISON AVE POSEN 60469 (708)388-7200

I believe he left in 2001, so his salary was probably even higher.

He left a $ 130,313 plus job to take a $ 76,595 job

**One would expect that he did not resign that position. I found that he retained this attorney early in 2002.

In early 2002, shortly after his 1999 suspension ended, Howard began representing Dr. Leotis Swopes.  **

2003 - 2004

Administrator Pay Increases for ZION ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT 6 from 2003 to 2004

Name                       2003       2004                                 Swopes Leotis      76595      95038                              

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #26 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 11:07am

He left a $ 95,038 job to take a $ ? job (I need to submit a FOIA request for this)

2005-06

Theodore Roosevelt High Sch #4033 Phone: (219) 881-1500 Fax: (219) 881-1500 730 W 25th Ave Grade Span: 09-12 Status: Full Accreditation Gary, IN

2005-06 LEOTIS D SWOPES Junior High/Middle School Principal

His last job at $ 68,000!

Dist. 157 hires assistant principal for Schrum Memorial School
BY JOAN CARREON
Times Correspondent | Thursday, August 17, 2006 | No comments posted.
CALUMET CITY | A Gary high school principal has been hired as an assistant principal at Schrum Memorial School.

The Hoover-Schrum Elementary District 157 School Board on Monday gave approval to the hiring of Leotis Swopes. He will be paid an annual salary of $68,000 plus benefits.

Swopes served for a year as principal at Theodore Roosevelt High School in the Gary Community School Corp. Before that, Swopes said he worked for two years in the area of curriculum and grants in Zion Elementary District 6. Swopes earlier spent 12 years as superintendent of Posen-Robbins Elementary District 143.5.

BY JOAN CARREON
Times Correspondent | Thursday, March 29, 2007

In other action Tuesday, the board approved not rehiring Schrum Assistant Principal Leotis Swopes. Taylor cast the only dissenting vote. Swopes, in his first year as assistant principal at Schrum,

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #27 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 12:36pm

Thank you for all your hard work, new_cairoite. I appreciate it.

You probably don't have time for this, but if you do...please look up the credentials of those the school board did NOT hire. Compare the others to Swopes. It's a huge request, so I understand if you don't have the time.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #28 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 12:55pm

Carla, I plan to do that! I am leaving today and may have a day to work on that at the library on the way. I do not have high speed internet here, so it takes forever to do this research.

I am going through Tinley Park on my way back to check on old newspapers. One librarian at another library says she remembers something about his departure from the Posen school.

It will be interesting to compare them and then ask the school board why they made the decision they made. I am anxious to get the IL School Law book. Yesterday, a school board member told me they didn't have to tell the public what performance goals they set for the new sup and that they didn't even have to tell us what they are paying him. NOT SO! We are going to get every bit of information that the law allows and we are going to inform the parents and the public.

Whether a Cairo resident/taxpayer has children in school or not, they are affected by the deplorable conditions of our public schools and have a vested interest in seeing improvement. Somewhere, there is a young, idealistic PhD who would love to come and turn our schools around. We just need to demand this school board find him/her.

I am really encouraged by reading the blog up in Calumet City. The teachers and parents worked to get rid of the crooked board members and you cannot believe what good things are happening there in less than a year! The new board even had the ba!!s to rescind the buy out agreement made with the crooked superintendent! So, it can be done!

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #29 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 1:05pm

>>>>"Yesterday, a school board member told me they didn't have to tell the public what performance goals they set for the new sup and that they didn't even have to tell us what they are paying him. NOT SO!"

You go, girl!  Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print