Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
New Superintendent (Read 39766 times)
still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Re: New Superintendent
Reply #60 - May 18th, 2008 at 2:36pm

Which means they could/should be sitting in jail.

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #61 - May 18th, 2008 at 3:20pm

Madasher wrote on May 18th, 2008 at 2:18pm:
One of the biggest problems here in Cairo, is the Adult males going after the teenie bopper junior high girls.  I guess they cannot get anyone their age, so the prey on the innocents.  The majority of the fathers of these babies, are adult men, that are no longer in school.

You are absolutely right. I just talked to the new superintendent about that. When my daughter started at the junior high this year, she said the high school juniors and seniors were checking all the new girls out. These girls are 12 years old!  Many of these young men grew up fatherless. Cairo is in dire need of a mentoring program. SOP does mentoring, but you can't force someone to attend.

Cairo's best chance for change is through the schools. They have the kids from 8:00AM until after 3:00PM Monday-Friday. Thank the Christian right for eliminating any type of character building at our schools. I remember Phyllis Schlafley's propaganda about how the public schools were going to make our kids gay.

We had character training in grade school. I still remember what I learned. There was a filmstrip (I believe) called Barfuncle. It taught kids that they can never know 100%, another person's intentions. Heck, my sixth grade teacher read "Lord of the Flies" to us every afternoon. Now that book is banned in many schools.

That same teacher stayed after school every day for 1 - 1 1/2 hours to run an after-school sports program. We played bombardment indoors, if the weather was bad. We ran races down a busted up gravel alley behind the school, we played kickball and four square. We always knew we could go right back to school for the sports program.

When that ended we still hung out on the playground. But today the kids are not allowed on school grounds once school gets out.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #62 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 8:22am

I want to get this post back into the right forum:

I did go up to Tinley Park two weeks ago. You can either say I have very good follow-through or that I am obsessed, take your pick.

Either way, my children turned out great. And, I would like for every other child to have the advantages mine had. There is not much we (society) can do about bad parents with poor parenting skills, but we can do something about the public schools. We have an obligation to do so.

That you think Swopes is a "nice" man is not based on any facts either. It is based on nothing other than your opinion. We caught the tail-end of 48 hour mysteries last night, the show where they feature the "nice" men who kill their wives/girlfriends. I said I was amazed there were so many. And, my husband said, "Yes, and there will be another one next week.".

The information I have thus far is based on what I found on the internet and conversations with a school board member, NOT disgruntled teachers.

I was told by a person at the school district I would find the story in the Southtown paper. Only the last 3 or 4 years are available online. I called the paper and they said they do not have old copies. I called the Posen Library and they said they did not have them and that they would be available at the Tinley Park Library. I called the Tinley Park Library and was told they had them on microfiche. I went to Tinley Park and looked at microfiche for hours before I decided the Southtown paper they had did not cover Posen. The Southtown papers cover different areas of the southern Chicago area. I need to find the right one and am working on that as we speak.

Have I stopped? No, Carla, because I am obsessed or have terrific follow-through, take your pick!

Noone has answered my question yet about whether the Cairo Citizen lied about Swopes background or whether Swopes lied on his CV. As a matter of fact, I don't think Bobby has been back on the board too much since I asked it. The best I can tell, Swopes was unemployed when Cairo hired him; he was not Interim Superintendent of Calumet City as stated. According to a school board member and newspaper articles, he was ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL when they decided not to renew his contract after one school year.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #63 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 8:24am

I would expect after I brought this to the school board's attention, they would have asked Swopes why he left Posen-Robbins.

Unless he lied on his CV, they would have known he was making $ 140,000+?? in 2001 and $ 68,000 in 2006/07.

That may not appear odd to you, but most rational human beings on the same planet I am on would find it to be very odd and would think there must be something wrong with this picture.

It will be interesting to see what he is being paid. Brenda told me they didn't have to tell us what he is making. The attorney said that is not true. If public funds are being used, it is public record.

One last comment on your post. We know the powers that be lurk here. What really concerns them is not what they read here but what we say via PMs. This gives us a medium to connect with each other we would not otherwise have. (Actually, PTB, we do our gossiping and spread our rumors that way!) And, I thank you and Madasher for that.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #64 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 8:26am

Facts per the internet:

** 2000 he was making $130,313 as District Superintendent at Posen Robbins 143-5

He left mid-year 2001-2002 school year, December or January (not per the internet, but by a responsible party). He hired a lawyer in 2002.  (Not per the internet! ----  I was told by a responsible party that the school district did not do any kind of a payout to him as a result of his early departure.)

** 2003 he was making $ 76,595 in a  Curriculum position  for ZION ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT 6 

** 2004 He was making $ 95,038 in a  Curriculum position  for ZION ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT 6 

** 2005-06 LEOTIS D SWOPES Junior High/Middle School Principal Theodore Roosevelt High Sch #4033 I have submitted a FOIA request for salary.

** 2006-2007
Dist. 157 hires assistant principal for Schrum Memorial School
BY JOAN CARREON
Times Correspondent | Thursday, August 17, 2006 | No comments posted.
CALUMET CITY | A Gary high school principal has been hired as an assistant principal at Schrum Memorial School.

The Hoover-Schrum Elementary District 157 School Board on Monday gave approval to the hiring of Leotis Swopes. He will be paid an annual salary of $68,000 plus benefits.
Swopes served for a year as principal at Theodore Roosevelt High School in the Gary Community School Corp. Before that, Swopes said he worked for two years in the area of curriculum and grants in Zion Elementary District 6. Swopes earlier spent 12 years as superintendent of Posen-Robbins Elementary District 143.5.

BY JOAN CARREON
Times Correspondent | Thursday, March 29, 2007

In other action Tuesday, the board approved not rehiring Schrum Assistant Principal Leotis Swopes. Taylor cast the only dissenting vote. Swopes, in his first year as assistant principal at Schrum, was hired in August to replace Scott

Carla, I have submitted FOIA requests, but I am not going to be able to find proof about what the scandal was at Posen without newspaper articles.

I would expect he may not have been truthful on his CV. An attorney I talked with today suggested I go to the school board mtg and ask them in open session what Swopes qualifications were, that I ask what his last position was and why he left. She also said the school board would not have access to any more info than I do. I already issued an apology to the board. (cont'd)

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #65 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 7:27pm

Re: Carla/Swopes
Reply #50 - Yesterday at 7:08am     New Cairoite wrote on Jun 4th, 2008, 7:45am:

That you think Swopes is a "nice" man is not based on any facts either. It is based on nothing other than your opinion. The information I have thus far is based on what I found on the internet and conversations with a school board member, NOT disgruntled teachers. [

My saying he seemed like a nice man does not mean anything, I agree. But I wasn't saying he's not adequate as a superintendent. Nor was I saying he's highly qualified. I just said we don't know yet, so let's give him some support.

New Cairoite wrote on Jun 4th, 2008, 7:45am:
Carla, you need to listen to what you are saying. For instance, you say you have no problem paying $ 700 a month for utilities, but you won't pay $ 100 for a costume for your daughter to go to her recital!

I explained why my utility bills are that high. madasher, on the other hand, has a good sized house with very reasonable utility bills. Same city, same utility company. Yet her bills are less than half what mine are.

Read my posts again...It wasn't one $100 costume. It was three.

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #66 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 4:21am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

CAT Tracks for July 1, 2008
SPECIAL BOE MEETING - MINUTES

A motion was made, seconded, and passed to employ Leotis Swopes as Superintendent for a 3-year period beginning July 1, 2008, under conditions stipulated in the contract to be signed.

IP Logged

Just Wondering
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #67 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 7:28am

Thanks, but I didn't need to see that today!

I do not want anyone else to tell me how much Brenda Gooden cares about Cairo.

She and the others have demonstrated their lack of concern quite clearly.

IP Logged

Sancho Panza
YaBB Newbies

Let It Be

Reply #68 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 7:40am

AMEN!!!

IP Logged

Sancho Panza
YaBB Newbies

Let It Be

Reply #69 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 12:40am

Well, New Cairoite was evidently right on target.  Rumor has it that the New Superintendent is picking a fight with the teachers and the year hasn't even begun.  Ordering them out of town for the first day of school.  Of course, maybe he thinks he's doing them a favor.  He must like out of town.  He's seldom in the district.  Must be nice to draw a big paycheck, get a free house, and spend the majority of your days elsewhere.  Where do I sign up?

IP Logged

hotel del
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #70 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 6:58pm

????? he resides free. who cut that deal

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #71 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 7:51pm

[quote author=4A5B4B0D0E3F0 link=1205104984/60#70 date=1217980690]????? he resides free.

In Cairo?  Gee...that ought to bring in a lot of new residents.  Grin

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #72 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 9:22pm

I am curious to see what happens next.   Is the union going to try to work with him or are they going to try to show him who's boss from the get go.   Hopefully they will all manage to work together in the best interests of the children.  

Thankfully, the superintendent doesn't preside in the classroom where the children are actually present.   It's up to the teachers to see that the children are taught and cared for.  The superintendent is in charge of administration.  I would think a businessman would be a better choice, but schools have never been run that way so I've given up on that dream for now.

Modified to add,  maybe the free housing in some way makes up for part of the cut in salary.  Does it include utilities?

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #73 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 10:51pm

"Unions showing who's boss"?  Come now.  Grin

One reason I never joined one when I was a teacher was, I didn't want my hard-earned money going to any political group.

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #74 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 9:50am

LunaLady wrote on Aug 5th, 2008 at 9:22pm:
I am curious to see what happens next.   Is the union going to try to work with him or are they going to try to show him who's boss from the get go.   Hopefully they will all manage to work together in the best interests of the children.  

Thankfully, the superintendent doesn't preside in the classroom where the children are actually present.   It's up to the teachers to see that the children are taught and cared for.  The superintendent is in charge of administration.  I would think a businessman would be a better choice, but schools have never been run that way so I've given up on that dream for now.

Modified to add,  maybe the free housing in some way makes up for part of the cut in salary.  Does it include utilities?

Who said he got a cut in pay to take this job?  I've never been able to find out what we are paying him.  Know up north when he moved from job to job he kept taking cuts in pay. 

If we were able to put Cairo & Egyptian under one Superintendent we could pay more & get someone used to handling more students & teachers.  Yes it is a shame they don't have business managers running the school it would be much better I agree missing-cairo.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print