Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
New Superintendent (Read 27874 times)
deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Re: New Superintendent
Reply #75 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 1:07pm

>>>Cairo and Egyptian under the same superintendent.

Down here in this redstate backwoods, we DO have one superintendent for each parish.  Don't see why y'all couldn't have one for each county. Makes sense.  Huh Undecided

IP Logged

Geoff W

Cairo Shall Rise Again!

Massac Counuty, IL
Reply #76 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 1:12pm

deckhand wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 1:07pm:
>>>Cairo and Egyptian under the same superintendent.

Down here in this redstate backwoods, we DO have one superintendent for each parish.  Don't see why y'all couldn't have one for each county. Makes sense.  Huh Undecided

That's what we have here, too.  One super and board for the entire county.  Some cities have formed their own boards, but they have no authority.  They can only request and advise to main school board.

"The excellence of every government is its adaptation to the state of those to be governed by it."-Thomas Jefferson 1816&&
WWW bluwolf151  
IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #77 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 1:54pm

still_here wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 9:50am:
LunaLady wrote on Aug 5th, 2008 at 9:22pm:
I am curious to see what happens next.   Is the union going to try to work with him or are they going to try to show him who's boss from the get go.   Hopefully they will all manage to work together in the best interests of the children.  

Thankfully, the superintendent doesn't preside in the classroom where the children are actually present.   It's up to the teachers to see that the children are taught and cared for.  The superintendent is in charge of administration.  I would think a businessman would be a better choice, but schools have never been run that way so I've given up on that dream for now.

Modified to add,  maybe the free housing in some way makes up for part of the cut in salary.  Does it include utilities?

Who said he got a cut in pay to take this job?  I've never been able to find out what we are paying him.  Know up north when he moved from job to job he kept taking cuts in pay.  

If we were able to put Cairo & Egyptian under one Superintendent we could pay more & get someone used to handling more students & teachers.  Yes it is a shame they don't have business managers running the school it would be much better I agree missing-cairo.

By pay cut,  I was referring to the difference in what was quoted as his salary at other places ant the one he makes in Cairo.

I would hope that the county would be too wise to combine districts.   The rest of the county seems to have a fairly well run, well regulated school system and  doesn't need the headache.    Combining school systems  also leads to building new consolidated schools and longer bus rides for little children.   Not always the best thing. 

Carla mentioned in one of her posts that mentoring is needed.  Here we have not only the Big Brother system but a group known as 100 Black Men.   They do a grand job of working with disadvantaged children, teaching them the importance of education and good citizenship.   I wish Cairo had organizations like those two.   And perhaps someone could start a Big Sister group.   Little girls need mentors, too.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #78 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 2:30pm

I don't think combining schools districts under one superintendent would necessarily mean combining schools.  As both Geoff in Florida and I in Louisiana have stated, we have ONE superintendent for the entire county (or parish).  Combining schools would mean greater costs in gas, as these students would have to be transported from one area to the other.

I mentioned this last year on the Gate.  What Cairo needs is a Boys & Girls Club.  They do a tremendous job of mentoring kids.  My own kids would go there every day when I was working, a van even picked them up from their schools.  It was safe, run by competent, caring individuals, and my children learned arts, crafts, sports, computer technology--even knitting and crocheting by two elderly women.  They also got homework help by a certified teacher.  I've often remarked to Mr. Deckhand, that if I ever win a million dollars--the Boy & Girls Club is gonna get a big donation!

IP Logged

PEABODY
God Member

official sh*t stirrer
of stoogeville!

cairo
Reply #79 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 4:29pm

here in ballard co. we have one school and it is working great.

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #80 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 9:05pm

PEABODY wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 4:29pm:
here in ballard co. we have one school and it is working great.

I imagine that politics are a bit different in Western Kentucky to what they are in Illinois.   I know when I lived in Kentucky a lot of things would not have flown that fly in Cairo and Alexander County.

Modified to add that I personally have wondered if it wouldn't be better for all concerned if Pulaski and Alexander Counties were to combine all their resources.  Then they might almost have enough population to make one good county.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #81 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 9:27pm

Wonder if that's ever been done:  combining countries.  Imagine it might lead to arguing over whose name would be used, Alexander or Pulaski...

IP Logged

Geoff W

Cairo Shall Rise Again!

Massac Counuty, IL
Reply #82 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 10:06pm

Alexaski?  Pulaxander?   Tongue  Undecided  Tongue

"The excellence of every government is its adaptation to the state of those to be governed by it."-Thomas Jefferson 1816&&
WWW bluwolf151  
IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #83 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 11:46pm

deckhand wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 9:27pm:
Wonder if that's ever been done:  combining countries.  Imagine it might lead to arguing over whose name would be used, Alexander or Pulaski...

Don't know about combining, but I think they are both break-offs from Union county which was a break-off from Johnson County, which was a break-off from Randolph County, which was a break-off from St. Clair County. 

There, since we are in the "school" Roll Eyes section of the forum, we have now had our lesson for the evening. Cheesy Smiley

And I think Pulaxander is interesting.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print