Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Cairo Stats - Why aren't we producing geniuses? (Read 22615 times)
still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Re: Cairo Stats - Why aren't we producing geniuses
Reply #15 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 12:31pm

Short history lesson 101:  Cairo had large migration of Irish & German immigrants in the mid to late 1800’s.  Most were of the Catholic faith and went to Mass 7 times a week.  Many of our parents/grandparents & great-grandparents not only went to St. Joseph grade school but also graduated from St. Joe High School.  During this same time period you had all white grade schools & all white Cairo High School, all black grade schools and all black Sumner High School.  You went to St. Joe to learn not just the 3 R’s but your catechism lessons and pre 1963 Latin to understand what was being said at mass.  Catholic churches rarely had/have bible study classes because you went to a Catholic school and had religion class everyday for 20-30 minutes plus going to mass each morning before classes. It was not a racial separation but a religious one.  Pre 1960’s it was just about unheard of to marry outside of your catholic faith.  Yet all this time you paid your property taxes so others less fortunate not to belong to your church could get at least some form of an education as it were.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #16 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 12:54pm

Carla, thanks for acknowledging that the decision about a child's education is very personal. You look at a bad school and have to ask yourself whether or not it is in your child's best interest to be there everyday while you TRY to improve it. You also have to look at your child. Some of our children do better in a smaller pond.

How many of us would like to see a lot of things change in government, but think there is nothing we can do about it? And, is there?? We recognize that we are just one voice and think we are alone. Can any of us stand outside any school and honestly believe we have any say over what goes on inside, any say over the actions of the principal and teachers?

There are other ways to deal with the effects of that imbalance. All kids are bored by the time they reach 17. I recall my nerd child's Russian teacher told me she skipped class. I was very upset with her until she told me she was bored and went to the library; she is an avid reader. I would like to see high school stop at the tenth or eleventh grade with two years of mandatory conscription. I recall the days of the military draft. It was great because you took young men from all socio-economic levels, dressed them the same, gave them the same haircuts, paid them the same, etc. It was amazing, after three years,  to see the difference in both the rich kids and the poor kids. They benefited each other so much. It would have been difficult in the end to look at them or talk to them and tell whether they were raised in Baverly Hills or East LA. Conscription could do the same thing for all kids.

The answer is out there and we all know it is not going to be found in attacking each other. We have to identify, quantify and attack the problem.

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #17 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 5:05pm

Regarding "Short history lesson 101," Cairo had a relatively small Catholic population always, I'm assuming. The Catholics here weren't the only whites who did not send their kids to CHS.

That doesn't even matter. I know what I saw in Rock Island on my all white block. It was in a neighborhood undergoing a transformation. The yuppy whites were returning to the big, beautiful Victorian homes downtown, but didn't want their kids going to the integrated local grade school. It's been happening all over the country for a couple decades.

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #18 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 5:11pm

Nope, you are wrong.  We had three Catholic Churches at one time.  One built by Germans/St. Joseph, one built by Irish/ St. Patrick, one built for black & white/ St. Columbus.  Blacks from St. Columbus also went to St. Joe Schools.

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #19 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 5:20pm

Then who was going to the all-white high school? Where did all the whites go? We're getting off topic. Which was about the scores.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #20 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 5:54pm

First, for my history lesson - where were the three churches and when did the other two close?

Second, let's talk about race! We need to dialogue a lot more about race than what we do. Only open dialogue and understanding will change the problems we have with race in Cairo and this entire great country we live in.

So far, one person you all know told me Cairo does not have a race problem. One old black man most of you know told me he doesn't trust and hates all white people. One old white man many of you will probably know told me he is a racist.

Carla, it appears to me you assume white people with enough money prefer to not send their kids to local public schools with black children. I know there are racists out there, but my experience with the people you refer to who gentrify inner-city areas (both black and white) will send their kids to local public schools if they are good. Berkeley CA is a perfect example. In my hometown in Michigan, when the whites started moving back into the grand old homes in the inner city, they sent their kids to public schools. The sad thing is most of the inner city public schools (yes, because of white flight of the 60's) are not cared for, do not have the greatest tax base, do not always have the best teachers, etc. No one wants their kids to go to those schools. Some parents do not have a choice. My black neighbors in Cairo drove their kids to Cape to school. Most parents want to give their kids the best they can. I believe for most of the parents of this generation, it is not because of race. Your complaint with Cairo High is not the black  children; it is that the kids and teachers are out of control. That would be most parents complaint. If a wealthy white parent walked into a clean, safe school where the teachers and kids were acting respectfully, they would have no problem putting their precious children in that school. They wouldn't see color; they would see quality.

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #21 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 6:16pm

Sumner High School is were the Senior Citizen Nutrition Center/Happy Days is located now.  Cairo high was torn down when they built the new high school but it use to be to the right of Cairo Jr. High on the corner of 26 & MLK.  St. Joe High School used to be next to the St. Joe gym but was torn down years ago along with the church.  When they say mass down stairs at St. Pat's they call it St. Joseph chapel.  St. Columbus was used during the riots in Cairo was turned down, think it was on the 400 block of 14th. street.

Scores?  Have you ever talked to anyone that went to Sumner High?  I would take their test scores any day over Cairo High School today.  When both school went together in the late 60's many of their teacher then started working at Cairo High and were some of the best!  They cared because they lived in this community and it reflected on them how well each student did.

Yes Camelot was created when the two schools merged because of race.  Many whites were afraid of the blacks because of the riots and gun fire.  Now there is no longer a Camelot and we are all in this together to make what we have better.  Let's move on.

Your turn New Cairoite.  Cool

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #22 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 7:19pm

Thank you!

I wish you could all see Cairo through my eyes. There is so much good in Cairo that you will not find anyplace else in this country with the same demographics. It would be so easy to turn Cairo around.

Cairo has the same problem other small towns across the country have. Most of the people who were raised and chose to stay in the town are doing fine; they have jobs with the local utility, school district, state or local government or own local businesses. Unfortunately, their children cannot stay in the town because the jobs are career jobs for their parents' generation. But, they are doing fine and it is hard to get them to tackle a problem because the cause of the problem is their relative or friend.

I do not know what to do about that. Any thoughts?

Back to the school! The school is something we should be able to do something about. The majority of us in Cairo care. There may be some parents who do not know they need to care about their children's education; I can see that. But, there have to be a fair number of grandparents raising their grandkids who went to Sumner High and want their grandkids to get a quality education and not get messed up with drugs.

Carla posted a great article. Some of the school board members will read it here. I think we need to send them a copy and ask when they are going to do the same here. With a little effort, we should be able to get some parents and other residents to a school board meeting to make some demands.

The internet is a powerful medium. Posting their positions and naming names on the internet may shame them into doing something good.

Does anyone have any of the board member's pre-election propaganda pieces? Did any of them state any positions, offer any solutions, make us any promises, even acknowledge there is a problem?

I heard one say they didn't think there was a problem at the high school. I would like them to explain the low test scores if there is no problem there!

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #23 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 7:27pm

Who is the new superintendent? I am not in Cairo to buy the paper to find out.

Let's do our own background investigation on him/her and post it here and distribute it around town. If the school board did not make a good decision, AGAIN, we need to know now, not after another year or two. Our kids in Cairo deserve the best! Let's see now if they are going to get it.

It is amazing how these superintendents get recycled around the country, no matter how bad they are! A superintendent in CA that left when the state came in and took over the school went on to another large school district with a hefty increase in pay. And, the new school district knew of his history.

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #24 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 8:44pm

Quote:
Does anyone have any of the board member's pre-election propaganda pieces? Did any of them state any positions, offer any solutions, make us any promises, even acknowledge there is a problem?

Eight seeking three Cairo school seats

By Mark Bliss ~ Southeast Missourian

CAIRO, Ill. -- Some Cairo school board candidates feel the school district is making strides both financially and academically. But others say major changes are needed to improve the school system. Two incumbents and six challengers are running for three seats on the school board in Tuesday's election.

The field of candidates is made up of board members Arnold Burris Sr. and Vernon Stubblefield, as well as challengers Bobby Mayberry, Mary Coleman, Delbert Irish, Erica Wells, Owen Terry Jr. and Torey Purchase.

Burris, a deputy sheriff for Alexander County, has served 16 years on the school board, currently serving as board president. He's seeking his fifth four-year term.

Stubblefield was appointed to fill a vacancy on the board in January. He previously served two terms on the board.

Voters will decide the direction of a school district where many families are burdened by poverty and some students struggle to make the grade.

Candidate Delbert Irish said, "The school system is in a bad way right now."

Irish, a construction worker, graduated from Cairo High School. So did his sisters and his children.

"I want the school to get back to the way it used to be," he said, adding he wants to see improved test scores and more parental involvement.

"I don't think they are involved enough with the system right now," he said.

Continued below...

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #25 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 8:46pm

Coleman, a retired school employee, agrees change is needed. "I think our priorities have gotten mixed up in that it is no longer children first," she said.

The school district's administration currently includes a superintendent and a high school principal who don't live in Cairo. Coleman said hiring administrators who live elsewhere sends the wrong message.

"We can't expect somebody else to come in," she said. "We need to start investing in our own people and promoting from within."

Wells, Cairo city clerk, said the district needs to do a better job of reaching out to parents, in part by directing them to agencies and organizations that can provide assistance.

"Most of the time it is parents who have needs, and the child suffers," she said.

Candidate Bobby Mayberry said he isn't looking to change the way everything is done in the district, but he'd like to see improved communication between city and school officials. Mayberry, Alexander County's 911 emergency coordinator, said he's well-acquainted with city officials and could help bridge the communication gap.

Mayberry said he's seen improvements in the schools. "Throughout the school system, our academics have been improving for several years," he said. Cairo junior high and high school students made adequate yearly progress in test scores this school year, meeting the requirements of the federal No Child Left Behind Act.

"For a long time we expected our kids to fail," Mayberry said. "I think that is changing. I want to continue to see that changed."

Stubblefield, who works for a social services organization in addiction prevention, said he wants to continue serving on the school board. A graduate of the district, he said he wants to help the students.

"I have a very strong desire to see the youth of this community succeed because they are good children," he said. "I think they accomplish a lot considering the lack of resources available to them."

continued below....

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #26 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 8:47pm

Burris said the school district has overcome financial troubles. "Now we are in the black and students are showing progress," he said.

"I want to continue what we started," said Burris, adding that he wants to be involved in the hiring of a new superintendent.

Terry and Purchase couldn't be reached for comment.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #27 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 8:54pm

Carla, thank you. I really appreciate you bringing me up to speed and I am sure others are very interested in this information.

Bobby said stats are improving. That is not what I read. Did I misinterpret something?

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #28 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:07pm

They are improving. See the graphic I just posted. They improved quite a bit since I arrived=))  Grin

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #29 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:33pm

Thanks, I will try to find time tomorrow to take a closer look. To what do you contribute the improvement?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print