Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.† Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Cairo Stats - Why aren't we producing geniuses? (Read 24296 times)
carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Re: Cairo Stats - Why aren't we producing geniuses
Reply #30 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 9:42pm

I hope a small part of it was because of the internet & Cairo Gate. For the kids, because just putting their photos online gave them some pride & legitimacy. Perhaps the teachers & admins stepped up their pace a bit knowing they were being watched.

Did you ever read this?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's shocking. I believe they have curbed that practice quite a bit.

Maltbia, the former principal, became their scapegoat, but he did introduce improvements. And this year the Delta Center has student mentors/counselors there.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #31 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 11:07am

What has happened since then? Thanks.

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #32 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 1:11pm

Like I said, I believe they have curbed their penchant for suspensions. The kid who keeps assaulting my son & threatening him hasn't been suspended, yet he started doing it the first day of school this year. But assaults are what they should have reserved suspensions for=/

I wanted to show you this link to a site about 144 schools that show 15 years of progress. This caught my eye on the front page:

"State law mandates all Local School Council Members to take 18 hours of training to efffectively carry out their duties."

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Do our school board members have the 18 hours? What's the statute?

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #33 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 2:02pm

I am still searching for the statute. But, came across some other things.

Were you given a student discipline policy? Is there a parent-teacher advisory committee? Who is on it?

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #34 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:01pm

Carla, others who care....

I just ordered the Illinois School Code and Related Acts. It comes with a cd. I will let you know when it comes in. We can share it. I read a little bit of the school law on line and it is very interesting. What are the chances our school board members have read it?

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #35 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 10:56pm

New Cairoite wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 2:02pm:
I am still searching for the statute. But, came across some other things.

Were you given a student discipline policy? Is there a parent-teacher advisory committee? Who is on it?

Yes, we are given the student handbook. Yes, there is a PTO, similar to a PTA, I guess. I need to find out who the contact person is for the PTO.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #36 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 9:39am

Illinois law requires a parent-teacher advisory committee.

Maybe you can ask about it the next time you go up to the school. When I get the book on IL school law, I will read every word.

Requiring them to follow the law will be a good place to start. What are the chances any member of the school board have obtained a copy and read it?

I am going to not have access to the internet for a couple of weeks. Sad

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #37 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 12:09pm

Hope your withdraws arenít too bad, a couple of weeks with no internet. Wow  Smiley

IP Logged

pooh
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

uptown Cairo ILL
Re: Cairo Stats - Why aren't we producing geniuses?
Reply #38 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 12:25am

First of all, let  me begin by saying that school uniforms is not going to make a difference in the education of our children. You claim that Cairo is in a poverty stricken area, so if parents/guardians are unable to purchase school supplies for their children what makes you think that they can afford uniforms! The children if not wanting to wear the uniforms are just going to find a way to rebel thus creating more discipline issues in the classroom. As a result of the discipline issues, lease teaching will be done.

As for the statement about Cairo not producing geniusesÖ Did you know that some people who have graduated from CHS has done great things with their live. On of my classmates has had three books that she wrote published! Next, have you ever spent a day in the teacherís shoes? It is not all the teachers fault!

In order for education to be a success, it takes the combination of family, the school system, and the community working together. Most important, the student learning. Did you know that according to the theorist, Gardner, we have several different intelligences? As a result of this, everybody has a different learning style. This needs to be addressed in the classroom! The days where the teacher teaches from a book only should be gone, children need hands on experiences, a chance to get out in the community, and a chance to voice their own opinions. Nest, some teaching just so the children can score high on those end of the year tests. Some teachers teach only the material on the test.!

Nest in closing once again, it is not due to poverty or clothing as to our schools. The family unit, teachers, and community need to work together and get involved!  And one thought How many school board members actually visit the schools on a regular basis to see what is going on?

pooh

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #39 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 4:51am

Q. What is the purpose of having mandatory school uniforms?

A. Uniforms will help erase economic differences among students, and facilitates school pride because students see themselves as part of the school team.

Fewer absences, fewer tardies, and less truancy are reported by schools with mandatory school uniform policies which increases instructional time.

School uniforms help students see schools as a setting for teaching and learning, help set a tone for serious study and allow students to focus their attention on learning.

School uniforms have been shown to improve the safety of all students on our school campuses by reducing gang influence, minimizing violence by reducing some sources of conflict and helping to identify trespassers.

Wink

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #40 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 12:52pm

No they won't.

I remember wearing uniforms to school. †I also remember poor students wearing uniforms to school. †No "economic differences were erased," because the poor kids still remained poor, and the snobs still looked down on them.

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #41 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 1:12pm

True but with uniforms you only need 3 sets at the most to do you the whole year.   When a poor child wears the same shirt twice in one week every week they know the other kids are making fun of him.  This at least levels the field if just a little bit.  Now tennis shoes are another matter.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #42 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 2:03pm

And when a poor kid wears one of only 3 shirts that he owns to school dirty and torn--then the other kids also make fun of him.

I've personally seen it happen.  It's heartbreaking.

IP Logged

pooh
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

uptown Cairo ILL
Reply #43 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 3:02pm

No matter what the children wear to school, there still are going to be those so called 'social clicks" wearing uniforms is just going to make everyone look the same and eliminate students being sent home for dress code violations! And then once again what happens to those who can not afford the uniforms and have no transportation to go get them? It's not like we have an abundance of stores around here. I wore uniforms to school for three years (ST Joe green ugh) and I hated it, and it did not stop other students from labeling others. My cousin who is nine had to wear uniforms this year to school, but ans they are costly. The code is plain dress paints, no carpenter pants, no hip huggers. polo shirts with collar and no emblem on the front. What schools need to do is focus on how to get students interested in learning and focus on that. Money needs to be spent on new books, building upkeep and funding for field trips. That's another issue that bothers me. Field trips. When I was in school, my parents did not have to pay for filed trips. Now, the school wants you to send money so your child can go on a field trip. If you do not send the money, your child simply does not go.  They are sent to anotherís teacher's room which may be a grade below or above. I thought that is why the children have fundraisers to pay for the field trips.

pooh

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #44 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 3:13pm

I agree with everything you've said, Pooh.

What I don't agree with is that BLUE ink.  It makes it too hard for my old eyes to read what you've written.  Please, write in black.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print