Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Cairo Stats - Why aren't we producing geniuses? (Read 24637 times)
still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Re: Cairo Stats - Why aren't we producing geniuses?
Reply #45 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 4:29pm

Wal-Mart has uniforms.  Wink

We'd have more money for extras if within the city limits we bought all the kids bikes to ride to school instead of busing them.   Cool

Have fewer obese kids also.  Smiley

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #46 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 4:45pm

Yes, Walmart does.  They also have riding lawn mowers and flat screen tv's.  Your point?

Just who are the WE who will BUY these bikes for the kids?  And do you think they can ride them all the way over to Sikeston, Cape, or Paducah to buy their uniforms?!

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #47 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 4:51pm

How to live in Still_Here's Utopia:

1. Just give em all uniforms...

2.  Then give em all bicycles...

IP Logged

Ice-P
God Member

Superhero and President-For-Life
of Stoogeville!!!

Reply #48 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 5:08pm

Cairo IS one of the few places where buses run "in the city" for city schools.  Most rural schools use buses, but city schools don't.  Looks like a lot of money.  (Note:  I walked to school, yep, uphill both ways, the M.C. Escher school) 

Right now, the schools seem to be failing.  It can't hurt to try uniforms and classrooms with same-sex students.  Perhaps if the students BELIEVED that they could succeed, they would. 

I am all for the arts, but I also talked to a couple of students and they stated they needed more money for the arts.  They wanted to work on their "Rap".  Maybe if they beleived they could do something else, gangster rap wouldn't be so attractive.

I've never killed a person.... but I've read several obituaries with pleasure.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #49 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 5:20pm

M.C. Escher...he's the artist who did that painting of the alligators isn't he?  One following the other, dissolving into the other.  Tail into tail...

Well, you get the point.

Yes, the school buses 'run in the city'.  But that's because there are only 3 public schools and they're far apart.  They're not neighborhood schools within walking distance like the old days.  You can't expect students to walk all those blocks out to Cairo Jr. and Sr. High in whatever weather.  It's not right.  And you can't expect little kids to walk, maybe by themselves, all the way to either Emerson uptown or Bennett downtown.  That's crazy.  And dangerous, in this day and time.

Once there was Elmwood for the uptowners.  Lincoln for the middletowners.  Safford for the middle-downtowners.  And Douglas for the downtowners.  It made it easy for a kid to ride a bike or walk to school.

But the school system was segregated back then too.  So there was Garrison Elementary, Washington Jr. High, and Sumner High for the black students.  I don't think anyone wants to go back to those days.

Gangsta rap is a fad.  We had fads in our day.  Gangsta rap will fade out.  Trust me.  These kids will grow up and become adults--it's inevitable.

(Ice--you forgot to mention it was in the snow too!)

IP Logged

PEABODY
God Member

official sh*t stirrer
of stoogeville!

cairo
Reply #50 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 6:07pm

I went to cairo puplic schools in the 70', the buses ran only for grade schools,emerson and bennet.  the only ones rode for jr.high and high school lived in the county.

IP Logged

Medic Ron
God Member

Mayor of Stoogeland

New Albany, Indiana
Reply #51 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 6:27pm

You poor thing Cool

All bleeding stops...eventually.
WWW medic6613  
IP Logged

Medic Ron
God Member

Mayor of Stoogeland

New Albany, Indiana
Reply #52 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 6:28pm

We must have went to different schools together in the 70's Cool

WWW medic6613  
IP Logged

PEABODY
God Member

official sh*t stirrer
of stoogeville!

cairo
Reply #53 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 7:51pm

you went to camalot,,,,,,I went to a REAL SCHOOL. Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Medic Ron
God Member

Mayor of Stoogeland

New Albany, Indiana
Reply #54 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 8:11pm

And it shows Cool

WWW medic6613  
IP Logged

Ice-P
God Member

of Stoogeville!!!

Reply #55 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 9:52pm

(Note:  I walked to school, yep, uphill both ways, the M.C. Escher school) 

p.s. Neither rain, nor snow nor gloom of night could stop me from my appointed rounds.  I walked.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #56 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:36pm

How far, what year, what kind of neighborhood, what town, what state?
Ain't gonna happen like that again.

And you're pulling my leg.  Tongue  You can't walk BOTH ways UPHILL.  Either you first walk uphill, then downhill.  Or vice versa.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ice-P
God Member

of Stoogeville!!!

Reply #57 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 11:36pm

A long time ago, in the State of Illinois, in a small southern community, my sisters and I walked to school (Catholic) every day.  In fourth grade, I took band at the public school.  I walked 1 1/2 miles from home to public school in the morning (before school started) and then about 1 mile to school (missing Mass and sometimes part of one class).  I played a Baritone (small tuba) that I carried every day.  Since I was walking every day, I sometimes got rides with other band members that saw me walking, especially in the rain or snow.  Usually though, I went on my own as I wouldn't be late.  The town was about the size of Anna.  I walked from one end to the other.  My mom didn't drive (early 1960's) and Dad drove our only car to work.  There were 7 kids at home and if I wanted to take band, I walked.  I walked on the sidewalk thru the business district and residential areas to get to the schools. 

If you're 10 and carrying an instrument that is nearly as big as you are, after a couple blocks, EVERYTHING IS UPHILL!!!!

Tell me again how far apart the schools are in Cairo.  My wife and I were recently back in my old hometown and I showed her where our house "used to be" (it's gone now) then I drove to the school where I took band and back to the Catholic school.  She was impressed by how far it was. 

It is more dangerous now, but at that time, it was that or nothing.  When I got older (around 14), I got a bike.  My horn was strapped to the straddle bar.  It made curves  exciting!!!

IP Logged

Ice-P
God Member

of Stoogeville!!!

Reply #58 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 11:50pm

I forgot, but part of band was sectional practice and solo practice.  Since I had to walk so far, I was always scheduled for practices right after band rehearsal.  Since the other kids were staying in school, I
always
walked from public school to Catholic school.  And walked home for lunch.  

Yep, it was a different time.  But they scrimped to get me lessons and a horn so I couldn't disappoint them.  I walked.  

In grade school, you practiced a lot.  When you got to High School, IF you made band (it was super competitive) the fun started.  Band trips, Marching band, parades, You got to go lots of places.  

I moved in the last 2 months of 8th grade and missed the fun.  The band I MIGHT  have been in was in the Rose Parade (yep), played on the steps on the Capital in D.C., and played half time of a major bowl game (don't remember which one).  Our high school marched in a lot of local parades but nothing like that.

But no hard feelings Angry Angry Cheesy

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #59 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 12:49am

You're right.  No hard feelings.  I'm sure the nuns that taught you (or was it brothers?) wouldn't like to think you harbored bad feelings against someone you disagreed with.  At least not the nuns and brothers and priests I've known.

No, I can't tell you "again" how far apart the schools are in Cairo.  I don't live there anymore.  I don't remember...

But I do remember Cairo once had a Catholic school, St. Joe.  I'm sorry to see it has closed.  A lot of my relatives attended that school.  Same are alive, but most are now dead.  That makes me sad. They were good decent people and I miss them.

So, Ice, cherish those memories you have.  Be grateful that you had the kind of parents that raised you.  A lot of children in Cairo--and elsewhere--don't have those kind of hardworking, sacrificing, religious parents.  As it stands now, over half of the children born in the US are born to unwed parents.  Walking to school is surely the least of their worries.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print