Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.† Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Cairo Stats - Why aren't we producing geniuses? (Read 22058 times)
deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Re: Cairo Stats - Why aren't we producing geniuses?
Reply #60 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 12:52am

With your musical expertise, ever thought about starting a Dixieland jazz band in Cairo? †To play concerts at the Pavilion in St. Mary's Park?

Or how about offering to give lessons to some kid(s) who desperately wants to learn? †

We could then start to produce those geniuses that some say are lacking now.

Besides, I think you would make those nuns proud. †Smiley

Peace

IP Logged

Ice-P
God Member

Superhero and President-For-Life
of Stoogeville!!!

Reply #61 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 1:46pm

One thing I got out of Catholic school that stays with me to this day:

I HATE NUNS!!!!

Also, it's been 35+ years since I played a musical instrument.  I wish I had taken guitar or piano.  But, back then, guitar was not popular and piano was for "girls".

I've never killed a person.... but I've read several obituaries with pleasure.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #62 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 2:33pm

Ice-P wrote on Jun 27th, 2008 at 1:46pm:
One thing I got out of Catholic school that stays with me to this day:

I HATE NUNS!!!!

Also, it's been 35+ years since I played a musical instrument. †I wish I had taken guitar or piano. †But, back then, guitar was not popular and piano was for "girls". †

If you ever get the chance, go see the play Nunsense. You'll find it very funny, I promise.

"Guitar was not popular." †Since when!? †I grew up in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. †It was always popular then. †I tried learning to play one myself. †Took piano instead. †But then, I'm a girl. †Smiley

Back on the topic of why we aren't producing geniuses. †I believe it starts in the home. †In my opinion, for a child to develop well, he needs a parent who reads, and reads to them. †I watched my parents reading, even if it was only the morning newspaper at the breakfast table. †(They did read other things.) †I instilled the love--and necessity-of reading in my own children. †I took them to the public library, read to them, let them see me reading. †Once I sat down and read Mitch Albom's book Tuesdays with Morrie in a single sitting, just so I could ask my daughter questions about it in preparation for a test. †I was glad I did. It's a wonderful story.

I read. †I also write. †And I have taught my kids to do the same.

The arts are important also. †I have a friend whose mother played piano. †This mother instilled her love of music in her daugher.

Another friend of mine's mother loved to sew, knit, and crochet. †And her daughter learned the same things.

Still another's dad loved to cook--and cooked delicious meals.  He taught his daughter how to cook delicious meals.

One friend of mine had parents who loved going to the Muni Opera in St. Louis. They took her with them. Sometimes they took me too. Their home was filled with Broadway Musical albums. I loved to visit that home and listen to those albums. †I think it's one of the reason I love show tunes today.

The government cannot be expected to do well what parents should do first, and that is to inspire. †The government cannot inspire. †It takes a parent to do that, whether it's one's own parents or a friend's parents or a teacher who acts as a parent. †

Inspiration's free too--for all those taxpayers worrying about how their money is being spent!

IP Logged

pooh
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

uptown Cairo ILL
Reply #63 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 6:41pm

I agree children need to be exposed to reading as soon as they are born!!! It sets the stage for othere developmental goals they need to reach. By reading to a chidl, they hear the langauge being spoken, see how to handle a book, and see print. When the child is able to put it all togethr and realize that letters put togther to form words and that words have meanign and can be read, they will begin to be read to. Reading togther as a family should be done often. i read to my son when he was born and contined to do so. As a resulthe is going in the third grade and on a sixth grade reading level (that is what the school says) i believe this would not ahve been done wihtout me working with him at home.

As far as education, it does take the school, family, and community all working togther to benefit the children. But, the family has to be willing to work with the school. There are alot of barriers of why the family doeas not want to work with the school system, But, I feel as if, the educators in the school system needs to work to break down those barriers for the children so they can learn and be bettter prepared for the real life whne they gte out on thier own. which brings me to my next education topic that I am upset with, but I need to write my paper for college class that is due on Monday so i will post my issue soon! Oh, and please ingnore my typing errors, typing is one thing i did not take at school! Smiley

pooh

IP Logged

pooh
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

uptown Cairo ILL
Reply #64 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 8:52pm

Okay now I have time to finish what I wanted to say. I was glad that the school system brought back activities. Meaning library, physical education, art, and music. These all should be extensions of the teaching that is going on in the classroom, not just time for the teacher to take a break(which they probably need). It also gives the students a break from the same old classroom and the teaching from a book (which needs to be changed based on Gardnerís theory of multiple intelligences.)  However, do you really know what goes in in these activities?  Well, I do and I did not like it one bit!

Take P.E.:

If I had a dollar for everyday my son came home and said he played dodge ball or watched some kids play basketball, I would be rich. Even on the days it was nice and sunny our, all they did was dodge ball. What happened to teaching our children team games with rules and regulations? My son did not even know what kick ball was when we went to our family reunion. These children need to be taught how to work together as a team and how to follow rules. This can be done in a fun way  through P.E. class. The only team activities around here are upward soccer, upward basketball, and rotary ball (when you can get the coach to return your calls so you can sighn your child up). All of the above have one thing in common, it takes money, and transportation. Think about where we live, everybody does not have the funds to let their child play these sports and the transportation to take them. So why is it that all they learn in PE is the violent sport of dodge ball where it is one on one and a violent sport. What happened to the Presidents Physical Challenge you used to take twice a year in PE?

Library:

All my son told me and I viewed is they watched a movie and got tolistento a book, Now that does promote some literacy, but do they know what a Dewey Decimal System is? The different kinds of books and have read each different kind? I know they checked out books, but they had to stay at school. What happened to parent involvement? Bringing the books home would have been great to read as a family and then for the child to write a book report. Bringing the book home and returning it teaches responsibility.

Music:
Ms. Neely does a great job, I was very impressed when my son brought home homework with the different types of music notes and had to draw and label them. But what happened to band at Bennett School?  What happened to the band room and all the instr

pooh

IP Logged

happybunny

I love Cairo!

Reply #65 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 11:59am

I am in total agreement with you. †If the parents don't put any effort into educating their children and just expect the school system to do it all then how can the children to do well? †Even working parents can spend 30 minutes at bedtime reading to their children. †The school system cannot do everything. †I agree with you also that the parents need to advocate more for their children. †If they see that their child is not doing well or not getting what they need in order to succeed they need to push through every bit of red tape to get what they deserve for their child. †It's not always easy to do, but in the end it will be worth it.

IP Logged

Ice-P
God Member

Superhero and President-For-Life
of Stoogeville!!!

Reply #66 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 12:32pm

'"Guitar was not popular."  Since when!?  I grew up in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.  It was always popular then.  I tried learning to play one myself.  Took piano instead.  But then, I'm a girl.'

How about, in the early 60's, just as the Beatles were getting popular, there were NO guitar music teachers in my small town.  Just Band or Piano.  Playing guitar may have been popular, teaching it was not. 

"What happened to teaching our children team games with rules and regulations?"

I would have loved to learn some games that I might use in later life, golf, bowling, table tennis.  (Not gonna mention shuffleboard).  I'm too old for basketball, dodge ball or any other type of contact/running sport now.

I've never killed a person.... but I've read several obituaries with pleasure.

IP Logged

redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Reply #67 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:31am

I think it would be a great idea to have a Father=Daughter dance. It would encourage fathers here to take and spend some time with their daughters, and it would give the daughters a chance to have an evening with their dads. This would be a great thing for the Cavalier Club to sponsor and the Starlighters could have a sale of second hand formals for the girls to wear. What do you'all think?

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #68 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:43am

redboy wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:31am:
I think it would be a great idea to have a Father=Daughter dance. It would encourage fathers here to take and spend some time with their daughters, and it would give the daughters a chance to have an evening with their dads. This would be a great thing for the Cavalier Club to sponsor and the Starlighters could have a sale of second hand formals for the girls to wear. What do you'all think?

Great!  What about having it after prom so they could re-wear their dress one more time or younger girls could make over their older sister's dress

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #69 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 7:01pm

Redboy,   I think you've come up with a walloping, wonderful idea.  Sell it, girl!

Maybe someone like Coke or Pepsi would be willing to kick in some sponsor money.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #70 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 11:27pm

still_here wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:43am:
redboy wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:31am:

Great! †What about having it after prom so they could re-wear their dress one more time or younger girls could make over their older sister's dress

That's a good idea Still Here. †Several years ago I brought some of my daughters prom dresses up to Cairo and donated them to the Daystar Thrift Store. †Figured she wouldn't wear them again, and I hated keeping them in her closet collecting dust.

I would encourage anyone to do the same. †If you're not going to wear it again (and most girls usually don't), for goodness sakes, let someone else.

This isn't really a father-daughter dance per se, but I distinctly remember dancing with my dad at the Magnolia Ball when I was a contestant way back when.

And when my own daughter was in dancing school, her teacher organized a father/daughter dance number to the tune of Ballerina Girl by Lionel Richie. †It was charming...she is her purple-sashed tutu and slippers, her father in his purple silk bowtie and cumberbun.

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #71 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 11:55am

I'm thinking that if some  girl might not get to join in because her daddy doesn't  have the clothes, that it might be a good idea to consider an old-fashioned sock hop.....she still gets to feel special, the menu could be sloppy joes, chips, etc, and the cost is minimal all the way around.    Also, make sure it is understood that it is okay  for a grandpa, uncle or some other man to substitute for daddy.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #72 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 12:46pm

You're so right.  Your idea seems more feasible in these financial times to have a sock hop.

I was in the beauty shop a couple of weeks ago, and saw a little girl about 8 getting her hair done.  Her waiting mom explained to me as I was waiting that her daughter was going to a father/daughter dance at her private school...complete with a limo ride.  It blew my mind...hiring a chauffeured limo to drive a little girl to a school dance!

YES. I like your idea much better.  Smiley

IP Logged

redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Reply #73 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 1:51pm

Yes I also like the idea of a sock hop. I will go up  the high school and see if I can build a fire under somebody.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #74 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 1:52pm

Now don't get me wrong, people are free to spend their money anyway they choose. †I just can't help wondering if the nuns would have condoned daddy in a rented tux and prepubescent daughter in a ball gown, riding in a limousine to a dance at their school (yes, this is a Catholic grade school I'm talking about) if THEY were still in charge.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print