Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Petitions to School Board (Read 3950 times)
New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Petitions to School Board
Mar 14th, 2008 at 4:13am

As we all know, Still_Here posted a great suggestion supported by a study to have gender-based elementary school classes. Carla posted another great article supporting it. One school board member already said he would not support it without offering any opposing studies to support his opposition. That appears somewhat arbitrary to me and not in the best interest of the voters in Cairo who voted for him and the students.

EVERYONE I have talked to in Cairo agrees the public school system is broken and in need of a MAJOR overhaul.

My first thought was to get a group of people to go to the school board meeting. But, I think it makes more sense to circulate petitions, take them to the school board and invite the media. A whole community like Cairo coming together; maybe we can get some national media. By the way, Carla, the rest of us are shy (or in the witness protection program), so we would depend on you. We would all be there covering your back (you just wouldn't know it since you don't know who we are!).

We could start with gender-based classes. Let's see a show of hands; how many of you go to church? I would expect ministers and church members would be willing to circulate petitions and gather signatures for this. The Baptist minister told me two other ministers and he meet at Two Rivers (?) once a week to pray for Cairo. It sounds like they care and would love to help us. I am not sure about the minister at the church at 36th/Washington. When I asked him why he didn't do anything about the drug house across the street that little kids had to walk by, he told me that only God could do anything about it.

How many signatures do you think we need? 600? more? I could blackmail that man who broke into my house and his boss and they could collect signatures for us. I could pay some students.

What do you all think?

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Re: Petitions to School Board
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 6:51am

Then we can take a look at uniforms.

I agree with Carla that, at a minimum, the kids need gym outfits. I could buy the t-shirts wholesale and silkscreen the high school name and mascot image on them. They would be very inexpensive. We could also put the name on the shorts.

This will probably take a petition, also. I e-mailed a board member this offer and did not receive a response. We could gather signatures on 2 separate petitions at the same time.

We could also do sweats and the senior class could sell them to raise money for their senior trip each year.

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 7:59am

You do pretty good when the ball's in your court.  Now let's see how far you can run with it.  You can also put the petitions in the restaurants around here.  Yes Carla we do want to see changes made , the sooner the better.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 11:26am

A couple of things!

1. I need help drafting the petition. You and Carla and others have been concerned about public education a heck of a lot longer than I have.

2. Since I don't know anyone or any of the business owners and ministers in town, can I count on the rest of you to ask them about the petition? You wouldn't have to identify yourself, you could just ask your waitresses about it and tell them you heard about it and want to sign it and you could talk it up a bit.

RE: gym shirts/shorts. The cost would probably be less than $ 3 for a shirt. We could teach the seniors how to make them and they could use them as a fund-raiser, too.

IP Logged

redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 6:13pm

I like the way you think.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 6:25pm

Thanks! I really believe parents and others will support this. AND, I am willing to pay for signatures, if that is what it takes. But, I really need your help. You all know Cairo; I don't.

I know it is going to take more than this, but we have to start someplace. And, we can build on this support we gather, not just with the schools, but other Cairo issues.

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 11:00pm

New Cairoite wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 4:13am:
When I asked him why he didn't do anything about the drug house across the street that little kids had to walk by, he told me that only God could do anything about it.

Are you serious!???? OMG! That lazy SOB! lolol

That is so typical of Cairo!

I have to take a break, I'll be back.

I can't believe he said that! Grrr....

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 11:02pm

New Cairoite wrote on Mar 14th, 2008 at 6:25pm:
AND, I am willing to pay for signatures, if that is what it takes.

You are so funny! I have got to meet you! Cairo needs you ASAP.

IP Logged

southernilbelle

I love Cairo!

Zephyrhills, FL
Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 8:44am

[quote author=2A27440 link=1205486034/0#0 date=1205486034]As I am not sure about the minister at the church at 36th/Washington. When I asked him why he didn't do anything about the drug house across the street that little kids had to walk by, he told me that only God could do anything about it.

He probably gets a cut.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print