Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.† Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gym Uniforms (Read 3967 times)
New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Gym Uniforms
Mar 21st, 2008 at 8:59am

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."

-- Samuel Adams

A big  THANK YOU  to those who started and/or maintain Cairogate! This is such a great forum. I want to share with you one of our successes.

Carla mentioned the students at Cairo High do not have gym uniforms. Thank you, Carla. I posted that we could silkscreen them very inexpensively and suggested they be a fundraiser for the studentís senior trip. We have at least one school board member on the board who read our posts and discussed the topic with the new school superintendent. Thank you, Bobby. Fortunately, for the students, Dr. Swopes recognized the value of gym uniforms. I hope he agrees to let the students use the uniforms as a fundraiser.

We just have to work out the details. I know redboy has been involved in raising money for senior trips. Remember when we were students; we started as freshmen planning our trip and organizing fundraisers to pay for it. We were proud of every dollar we earned; every car we washed got us closer to our goal.

If we do the shirts manually, they look nicer much longer. We can use two coats of ink which is probably 10 times as much ink as computerized shirts use.  We can do them this year and then search for some used silkscreening equipment for next year. This could turn into a business for Cairo kids. There have to be some artistic kids at school. This could expand beyond gym uniforms!

I am looking for suggestions. Have you ever had uniforms? What was on the shirts? Should we solicit ideas from students and pay $ 100 for the best design? Is $ 100 enough, or is this like me giving my grandkids  $ 5 from the tooth fairy and they complain because they got $ 25 from the tooth fairy the last time.

Another thought! Could we sell advertising on the back of the shirts? Wink

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Re: Gym Uniforms
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 2:07pm

Very impressive.  Wink

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 6:32pm

I'm sure they would last longer & I don't like what Wal-Mart has done to our economy, but you can't beat the prices they charge for school uniforms & gym outfits.

Also, I don't like to see advertising in schools.

Getting off topic, but here's a little anecdote:

I went to Cairo Jr/Senior High one day (a year ago) and saw an advertisement/flyer on the front door. It was an invitation to a bar. I complained about it to the office staff & they didn't understand my disapproval. They said it didn't mean anyone had to drink...it was just a Super Bowl party at the bar.  Undecided

We're not in Kansas anymore!

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 6:54pm

Do they have gym outfits? We can definitely do them cheaper, but I am more excited that maybe we can turn them into a fundraiser for the kids and a learning experiece. We made t-shirts for an elementary school PTA who used them as a fundraiser. We charged them the wholesale cost of the shirt and they marked them up a couple of dollars and they sort of became a uniform for the kids since the parents could get them so cheaply.

We can also do bumper stickers, like "I am the proud parent of a Cairo High School student".

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 9:34pm

New Cairoite wrote on Mar 21st, 2008 at 6:54pm:
Do they have gym outfits?

Yes, that's where most schools up north had their uniforms & gym clothing available for purchase. They were pretty basic...like what my brothers wore in high school in the 70's. Us females had to wear horrendous one piece top/shorts.

I can't remember the prices...something like $12 for top & same for shorts. It wasn't outrageous. The silkscreening project sounds great. Cairo has a top notch art instructor, Nancy Herbert.

The price for the school uniforms (navy blue khakis) at Wal-Mart was dirt cheap. The top is just a plain, white, button-up & collared shirt. I'd even push for standard issue shoes. I'm serious. Wal-Mart carries those, too.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 10:30pm

Do you know her well? Do you think the supe would let us turn to the students for a design for the shirts? And, maybe a design for the elementary schools, too?

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 10:31pm

David actually went to an elementary school and let the kids do their own t-shirts (with a little help, of course).

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 11:05pm

New Cairoite wrote on Mar 22nd, 2008 at 10:30pm:
Do you know her well? Do you think the supe would let us turn to the students for a design for the shirts? And, maybe a design for the elementary schools, too?

Kinda well. I am amazed at the scope of the art projects she involves the kids in. And the quality of the artwork produced in her classes. She's the best art teacher, K-12, I've ever seen. Cairo is so lucky to have her.

I don't know the new superintendent, but he won an award for doing successful, innovative work in at least one district in Illinois. I'm looking forward to meeting him.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 8:47am

Carla, that is encouraging. Do you know when the school board meets in April? We should be there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print