Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.† Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Superintendent Search Firm (Read 4826 times)
New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Superintendent Search Firm
Mar 27th, 2008 at 3:14pm

As I continue to investigate Swopes, I ran across this. It appears the woman who Swopes replaced for a few months at his last job ALMOST got another job. I am just wondering if our school board used or should consider using a search firm. If we get a great sup out of it, it would be worth every penny we pay.

Just to update everyone, looking at school D88 in Bellwood website and the school boardís minutes and agenda, it appears a vote to hire Hendricks failed 3-4 and the board has now placed on the agenda a motion to approve the hiring of a superintendent search firm. Iíve read a lot of information on D88 and about the corruption and characters that work or have worked in D88 over the last few years, but even 4 of the 7 D88 board members are smart enough to recognize how incompetent Hendricks is. I have to believe some of those smart board members have read our postings about Hendricks when she was at D157 and this helped them make the right decision. Unfortunately, she will find some other school district and bull **** her way into there and make a lot of money for one year. D88 paid Hendricks $140,000 for this year. She is robbing the tax payers without even using a gun.

Isn't it amazing how these really bad superintendents manage to keep finding jobs?

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Re: Superintendent Search Firm
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 5:34pm

Just curious but just who do you call to check up on a superintendents job performance?  The district office?  Who would tell you if there are issues that they had with them?

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 6:01pm

I am going to continue to focus on the superintendent, this one and the next and the next, whatever it takes!

The supe I referred to in this post was at the Calumet City school for a year. She lied about her credentials which were not up to date, so they had to remove her from her supe position and create a CEO position for her and promoted Swopes temporarily to supe. A couple of months later, the board gave her a substantial raise and extended her contract. Before the end of the school year, she RESIGNED due to a hostile work environment and negotiated about a quarter million buyout.

This school district (where she is at this year) that hired her for a year and are not hiring her permanently has had 3 supes in the last 4 years according to the forum. Does that sound familiar?

As you know, when you fire someone, you as an employer are afraid to say too much when asked for a reference. You are afraid of a lawsuit. So, the documented information about supe candidates will be status of their credentials, dates of employment and education, any criminal convictions, I would expect. I would expect a reasonable person (school board member) would question the job hopping, especially since a supe is considered a professional. It is not like they are hiring fast food workers who switch jobs often. And, when they have that, they need to look to undocumented sources, rumors!

Other documented information about these candidates would be newspaper articles about school board meetings and school board minutes. This requires a visit to the locale of the prior employers. But, don't you think if you are considering someone who changes jobs each year and decreasing pay levels, you need to do a little more due diligence. It appears Swopes did not finish his last school year at Posens, so I expect to find something discussed in the local paper. A woman at a library "sort of remembers" something in the paper. I have to go through maybe 6 months of old papers.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 6:16pm

Was our school board in a hurry? Did they have to hire from this pool of candidates?

I may be very wrong, but I do not think Swopes is doable. If he left mid-year a position he held for 12 years for a much lower level staff position making about 1/2 and if the woman at the library was correct that she remembers something in the paper, I think there is something out there to be found that will convince the community that he is not the person to improve or even maintain our school.

I would expect it would be difficult to find someone good because of our size unless we take someone right out of grad school, which our board does not seem willing to do.

The only other alternative I see is talking with other schools in the county and consolidating the schools and hiring one excellent supe, which would be easier with a larger district. I understand each school wants to keep its individual identity and mascot. But, that is not a problem. It is not unusual for schools to join together to benefit from the economies of scale and still keep their names and mascots.

Wouldn't it be great if our school board members showed their leadership skills and looked into this before the state steps in? With the shape the entire county is in, it would appear this would make sense. Cooperation between the city coucil, county commission and school board is critical here. We should all be demanding it.

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 9:15pm

>>>"I would expect it would be difficult to find someone good because of our size unless we take someone right out of grad school, which our board does not seem willing to do."

How do you know that?

Also, there were two other candidates that had experience and qualifications.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 11:26pm

Carla, I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this.  I think if you re-read what I said, you will see I did not state that I knew anything. I stated that "I would expect it would be difficult". You do not know me, but you will find that I don't "know" anything. I never want to "know" anything. I forever want to question and look for possibilities. That is what life is all about. Anything is possible.

Based on my experience and education, I was not impressed with the other two candidates and that is why I apologized here on this forum to the school board members. I wish I had taken time to check out the other candidates before I spoke, but I felt and still feel an urgency to investigate Swopes before he was or is given a 5 year contract. 

I am really impressed with Cairo and the fact that the vast majority of us acknowledge that there is room for improvement. This forum can be a very productive medium for change in Cairo, but only if we respect each other's views and work together and support each other. The powers that be can read this and know that there will never be a unified force with which they will have to deal.

When Still_Here suggested gender-based classes, I knew nothing about it. I started researching and ordered some books to educate myself.  I expect one of the books will look at both sides of the issue. When I go to the school board, I want to be able to present the research and acknowledge that there are pros and cons and I want to be able to intelligently argue that the pros outweigh the cons.

I was really impressed with someone who recently told me that, when he was school, he chose to take the side he didn't believe in to debate. He stated it allowed him to understand the other side's point of view and that sometimes it even changed his original view.

We have so much to learn from another and the kids here have so much to learn from us. We need to be good role models for them.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2008 at 11:41pm

I need to correct/clarify something I said in an earlier post. I mentioned a "consolidated" district and I think I used the incorrect term. I think what I meant was a "unified" district. I will do some research later in April and report back.

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #7 - May 11th, 2008 at 10:44pm

New Cairoite wrote on Mar 27th, 2008 at 11:26pm:
Carla, I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this. †I think if you re-read what I said, you will see I did not state that I knew anything. I stated that "I would expect it would be difficult". You do not know me, but you will find that I don't "know" anything. I never want to "know" anything. I forever want to question and look for possibilities. That is what life is all about. Anything is possible.

I missed this post, sorry. I appreciate all that you are doing. I forget to say "thank you" a lot Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print