Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Raising Funds for Cairo (Read 5914 times)
jucoinc
YaBB Newbies

What's happened to Cairo?

Georgia
Raising Funds for Cairo
Apr 28th, 2008 at 9:04pm

Boy,
As an out ot town former Caroite it appears ya'll really have some problems. I know of a way Cairo can raise some funds. I would be interested in purchasing the old Hamburger Wagon. That will help pay a few salaries..... or perhaps a new Book Keeper, or Mayor, or Coucilmem or??

Reply to jur1@alltrel.net

IP Logged

Videopaul

I love Cairo!

Naperville, IL
Re: Raising Funds for Cairo
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 12:58am

I've been to Cairo a whole four times in my life. On three of those trips I paid a couple of bucks to stare at the "Hamburger Wagon". This intriguing little enterprise cranked out tens of thousands of burgers during it's lifetime. Amazing how in a space barely large enough to turn around, so much could be accomplished. It's a blessing that it has been restored and placed on public display in a place of prominence.

To sell this little piece of history would probably not be in the best interest  of preserving this small but important part of Cairo's past. The answer to Cairo's  woes aren't going to come from selling off it's assets. The answer is going to come from getting everyone who wants to move forward on the same page.

There's a message in that little hamburger wagon.... can anyone here see it?  Wink

IP Logged

jucoinc
YaBB Newbies

What's happened to Cairo?

Georgia
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 7:35pm

I agree. I would insure the preservation of such a valuable relic. Just think of the folks that would be amazed and in awe at this little piece of history whether it sits in Cairo, Illinois or Cairo, Georgia.

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2008 at 7:43am

jucoinc wrote on Apr 30th, 2008 at 7:35pm:
I agree. I would insure the preservation of such a valuable relic. Just think of the folks that would be amazed and in awe at this little piece of history whether it sits in Cairo, Illinois or Cairo, Georgia.

In that case, just build one & be done with it.  Certainly would be cheaper.

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2008 at 8:02pm

What is the hamburger wagon?

Money is not the problem. It appears we have lots of money. The problem is how it is being used.

And, yes, videopaul, the answer is for all of us to move forward on the same page. But, can that be done? This forum is a great place to start. At least we are talking about it.

IP Logged

PEABODY
God Member

official sh*t stirrer
of stoogeville!

cairo
Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2008 at 8:07pm

the hamburger wagon was a old car turned into a hamburger stand....  it had the best sandwiches  Smiley

IP Logged

New Cairoite
Ex Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2008 at 11:22pm

Does it still exist? Where is it parked (displayed)?

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2008 at 3:34am

It's in the Custom House on display the last I heard.

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #8 - May 10th, 2008 at 8:17pm

jucoinc wrote on Apr 28th, 2008 at 9:04pm:
Boy,
As an out ot town former Caroite it appears ya'll really have some problems. I know of a way Cairo can raise some funds. I would be interested in purchasing the old Hamburger Wagon. That will help pay a few salaries..... or perhaps a new Book Keeper, or Mayor, or Coucilmem or??

Sounds like a finger plugging a d**e. Unless, you think it's work a mill or two.

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 5:36pm

Videopaul wrote on Apr 30th, 2008 at 12:58am:
I've been to Cairo a whole four times in my life. On three of those trips I paid a couple of bucks to stare at the "Hamburger Wagon". This intriguing little enterprise cranked out tens of thousands of burgers during it's lifetime. Amazing how in a space barely large enough to turn around, so much could be accomplished. It's a blessing that it has been restored and placed on public display in a place of prominence.

To sell this little piece of history would probably not be in the best interest  of preserving this small but important part of Cairo's past. The answer to Cairo's  woes aren't going to come from selling off it's assets. The answer is going to come from getting everyone who wants to move forward on the same page.

SmileyI'm so glad to hear the hamburger wagon is still there even if it is just for show.  Those hamburgers had a taste all their own. Roll Eyes  Oh my,   I sure would like to have one, or two, or three right now. Cheesy 

I'm sure just looking at it evokes wonderful memories for more than one generation.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 3:16pm

I'm not sure the hamburger wagon is in its old spot on the side of what was Blum's...I think the logical place for it would be the Customs House, so its memory could be preserved, instead of out in the elements, abandoned along with the crumbling buildings...

Yep, MC, those hamburgers WERE good.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print