Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Civics no longer taught? (Read 1980 times)
carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Civics no longer taught?
May 17th, 2008 at 8:07am

My kids just told me they are not taught Civics. In what course do kids learn about their local and state government? I had Civics in junior high. I can still remember having a hard time memorizing the house majority and minority whips.

IP Logged

Madasher
YaBB Administrator

Don't go with the flow

Southern Illinois
Re: Civics no longer taught?
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2008 at 3:15pm

Now, why on earth would they teach them civics here, Not if they want to continue to run the city they way they do.  They do not want the upcoming taxpayers to know how government is supposed to be run.

The Administrator.  SOMETIMES the only way TO BE HAPPY&&is to annoy other people.&&
IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2008 at 5:16am

What connections does the school board have with the mayor/city council?  I know Mary & Tyrone Coleman are married but isn't that it?

Did they drop civics because it was to hard so the student stopped signing up for it?

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #3 - May 18th, 2008 at 7:30am

I don't know if Cairo schools ever taught Civics. If they did, it was probably dropped due to NCLB and the ISAT testing. No time to teach anything other than what is on the ISATs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print