Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cairo students begging in Springfield (Read 947 times)
carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Cairo students begging in Springfield
May 17th, 2008 at 11:00pm

This  doesn't settle well with me. If the teacher wanted to take the kids on a field trip to Springfield with the grant money, then just say so. But to send kids begging for money for their school district? No. For one thing, if they are going to do that, then the kids need to know just how much money the Cairo School District has. Do they? If they did, they wouldn't be begging for more=/

CAT Tracks for May 12, 2008
SHOW ME THE MONEY

From the Southern Illinoisan...

Cairo students take their case for more funding to Springfield

By Codell Rodriguez, The Southern

CAIRO - They could have written a letter to Springfield making the case for why downstate schools need more funding, but students at Cairo High School decided to shoot a video instead and deliver it to the Capitol themselves.

The high school recently received a grant from Southern Illinois Electric Cooperative for a digital camera and a video camera. Students with the high school Tech Team created a tourism video with the equipment and took it on a visit to Springfield.

The students presented the video to Sen. Gary Forby, D-Benton; Rep. Brandon Phelps, D-Harrisburg, and Gov. Rod Blagojevich as a way to lobby for more technology funding in Southern Illinois schools.

"We don't have a lot of resources and depend on a lot of grants," said Ryan O'Shea, business education teacher at the high school.

O'Shea accompanied the students to Springfield, where they met with Forby and discussed future funding. Forby said he has spent a lot of time visiting downstate schools and is all too aware of their need for funding. He said he would continue pushing for more money to be sent their way.

"Anything I can do for them, I appreciate it," Forby said.

In addition to meeting with legislators, the students also visited sites in the capital such as Abraham Lincoln's Library and Museum and his home. But O'Shea said the students were taken aback by the Capitol Building.

"They were amazed the Capitol Building was so big and so beautiful," O'Shea said.

O'Shea said the students enjoyed the experience and were thrilled to be able to do something for the betterment for their community that they don't often get to do.

"The exposure was something a little different for them," O'Shea said.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print