Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Buttertop (Read 8561 times)
carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Buttertop
May 26th, 2008 at 7:02pm

I was going through old email messages and found this one. I'm removing her name & contact info. Maybe she visits the board. I may write back and direct her here. And I'll post the Buttertop recipe sent to me, which is also posted on Cairo Gate.

==========
What a nice surprise......one of my relatives ran into your site on the internet.     Great childhood memories.     Is there anyway to see the other recipes for Cairo Butter Coffeecake.???

I have a couple of questions.....when we were kids ( along time ago), I'm thinking they probably used butter....have your any thoughts on this notion?     Also, I doubt there was non dairy creamer on the grocery shelf......would this be dried or liquid???     I'm 68......so these are old memories....lolol      and great ones....

Thanks so much for getting this out......

******......South Carolina.....formerly a ***** of Cairo

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Re: Buttertop
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2008 at 7:09pm

And another:

My husband was from Cairo and is always talking about the ButterTop Coffeecake and Cairo BBQ Sauce.  So we would be very interested in finding recipes for these two items.  Do you have a website with the different recipes you have gathered?  If so, we would appreciate the address.

We tried the recipe printed March 2, 2006 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) and submitted by Ginger Johnson.  **** (my husband) thought it was very close to perfect except it had too much bottom crust and not enough topping.  I will try to use the recipe but divide the crust among 3 (9 x 13 pans) and then double the topping recipe to see if those proportions are any better.

However, thanks so much for the recipe.  It was a Holiday hit this Christmas.  

(name removed)

IP Logged

carla
God Member

Cairo...America's most
fascinating city.

Cairo, Illinois
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2008 at 7:39pm

I have a couple of questions.....when we were kids ( along time ago), I'm thinking they probably used butter....have your any thoughts on this notion?     Also, I doubt there was non dairy creamer on the grocery shelf......would this be dried or liquid???   

Answers:
COFFEE-MATE® was the first to transform an ordinary cup of coffee into a creamy treat and remains the leading innovator in the non-dairy creamer category.  In 1961, COFFEE-MATE was introduced as the world’s first non-dairy powdered creamer.  COFFEE-MATE soon established its position as America's most popular non-dairy creamer.

from: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:50am

Dolly Ruiz is one of the few people I know around here that knows the recipe since it was her brother-n-law that had the bakery.  Yes the crust didn't rise very high maybe just 3/4" or so.

Also I seem to remember our bakery had the buttertops in the 50's so it would before instant creamer.

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 7:22am

non-dairy creamer?   Noooo, its Carnation dry powdered milk.  Been around forever!

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 8:13am

turnipgreens wrote on Dec 23rd, 2008 at 7:22am:
non-dairy creamer?   Noooo, its Carnation dry powdered milk.  Been around forever!

Making any for Christmas?  Cool

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 9:47am

Why yes, as a matter of fact!  Got some dough risin right now!  wooohoo!  Gonna be a whole new set of folks wanting the recipe.  Ain't gettin it from me, though Cheesy

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 12:19pm

I got a recipe from Jackie Ronnebeck and one from Pat Salmon years ago.  Don't know where either copy is now, though.  You might try Jackie's daughter--she posts on Cairo Times.   One of Pat's sisters lives at Olive Branch.  She might have it.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 2:58pm

I got a recipe for buttertop from whitegirl, back in the 80s.  Don't still have it though.   Odd, but I never made any.  Mr Deckhand wouldn't take a liking to it when we'd have it up in Cairo.  I guess his taste for supersweet and doughy runs more toward bread pudding or king cake.  

I had homemade buttertop in Cairo as recent as 2006.  Someone brought over some coffee cakes to my mother's house following the death of my father (when people traditionally bring over food).   And the cake was just how I remembered it:  gooey and delicious! 

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 4:19pm

Finger licking good!  Grin  Not like that old St. Louis Gooey Butter-top Coffee cake.  Tongue

IP Logged

redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 5:21pm

You can use any bread dough recipe.  The secret is to spread the dough, and apply your topping right away. Don't let the bread rise, it will some in the oven. And the secret to the topping is carnation instant milk. Wink

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 2:56pm

Seems like the recipe you gave me said canned biscuits could be used...Right?

Or am I confusing it with deep-pan pizza?!
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2009 at 5:09pm by deckhand »  

IP Logged

butter
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2009 at 8:56pm

Hi, just joined the site. I was looking up info on the buttertop recipe. Saw that someone mentioned that their brother in law had the bakery that made the coffeecake. My grandfather, Earl Mattson used to be a baker at that bakery. At some point he moved to Mounds and opened up a bakery there and continued to make a version of the coffeecake. I contacted someone a while back and she graciously sent me a recipe. I made it for my dad who had been missing it. I don't think I made it right but he loved that I went through the trouble. He died just before Christmas, so now I will never be able to make it for him again. That is, make it "right." I do have some aunts and uncles that would love the recipe though.

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #13 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 10:50am

Who is the person with the ad in the Monday ‘s Pub for Old Fashioned Cairo Buttertop Coffee Cake?  Undecided  Only gave number of 618-306-0240, $15.00 for a 18”x12”.  Any ideals & has anyone ordered any?  Just wondering if they are any good?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #14 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 11:25pm

Didn't see the ad, of course, but Pat Salmon and Jackie Ronnebeck both had the recipe.   Any of their relatives still around?   Also, what about the Grueningers...any of their family?

In the 80's there was a gal at Wickliffe making them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print