Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hot Sauce (Read 7768 times)
Medic Ron
God Member

Mayor of Stoogeland

New Albany, Indiana
Hot Sauce
Jun 10th, 2008 at 1:30pm

I just made some ORIGINAL Cairo hot sauce.  Want the recipe?  NEVER!!!! Cool

All bleeding stops...eventually.
WWW medic6613  
IP Logged

PEABODY
God Member

official sh*t stirrer
of stoogeville!

cairo
Re: Hot Sauce
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 3:07pm

how did you get the sewer water? Huh Huh Huh

IP Logged

Medic Ron
God Member

Mayor of Stoogeland

New Albany, Indiana
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 3:38pm

A cup on a pole Cool

WWW medic6613  
IP Logged

PEABODY
God Member

official sh*t stirrer
of stoogeville!

cairo
Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 4:14pm

Kiss Kiss Kiss

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 5:41pm

Medic Ron wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 1:30pm:
I just made some ORIGINAL Cairo hot sauce.  Want the recipe?  NEVER!!!! Cool

I''ve got a recipe someone claims is authentic...tastes the same to us anyway. Grin   My neighbors love it and even use it to marinate their beef jerky.

I share the sauce, but never the recipe!

IP Logged

Madasher
YaBB Administrator

Don't go with the flow

Southern Illinois
Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 11:15pm

When I first came to Cairo, I was in food culture shock.  My husand took me to Nu Diner, and I saw chicken and dumplings, yummm....ummmm NOT!!!! Chicken and dumplings to me was fried chicken and drop dumplings in gravy, I still cannot eat your version of chicken and dumplings.

then we went to Shemwells, and they had barbeque, ymmmmm.....ewwww, it was vinegar and hotsauce on pulled pork, I was used to beef barbeque with a sweet hickory taste.

Then I ordered peach cobbler and it was not cobbler, it was "square pie"  Cobbler where I am from was bisquit and peaches baked and then a delicious white sweet sauce poured over it.

Pizza has sauce,, lots of tomato sauce on it.

Now, I do have to admit, the barbeque sauce here in cairo must have something in it, cause I have become addicted to it.

And I didnt know what okra was till I came here.

And then there is that stuff, that looks like corn that has been boiled too long, nope, dont want any

and grits, we had a meal at a place I worked here and everyone brought a dish, one guy said he was bringing cheese grits, I think it was really cream o'wheat with cheese in it.

I really need to go visit louisiana, I love cajun food, and ready to check out some  gater tots   Wink

The Administrator.  SOMETIMES the only way TO BE HAPPY&&is to annoy other people.&&
IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 11:42pm

Madasher wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 11:15pm:
When I first came to Cairo, I was in food culture shock.  My husand took me to Nu Diner, and I saw chicken and dumplings, yummm....ummmm NOT!!!! Chicken and dumplings to me was fried chicken and drop dumplings in gravy, I still cannot eat your version of chicken and dumplings.

re and everyone brought a dish, one guy said he was bringing cheese grits, I think it was really cream o'wheat with cheese in it...............................I really need to go visit louisiana, I love cajun food, and ready to check out some  gater tots   Wink

Hey,  come on our way but notice my moniker.....yeah, when they can get me to cook, it's pure Southern Illinois-- Southeast Missouri.
Just kidding,  I have learned jambalaya, red beans and rice, and bananas Foster.  We'll have to go out for those mean   sauces and crawfish topped steaks. Cool Smiley

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 7:59pm

When I first moved to New Orleans thirty years ago...the two things I cried for were fall and chicken & dumplings.  They just aren't to be found down here.  Have plenty of mild winters and nice springs, real HOT, HUMID summers, but no brisk air and colorful change of leaves like Cairo.

After meeting Mr. Deckhand, I asked him where I could get real good chicken & dumplings.  He told me from a stewing hen-- and bisquik.  Or else from "Poor Folks Restaurant."  (Never!)

Then he showed me how he cooks gumbo, crawfish etoufee', stewed chicken in a red or brown gravy, roast beef po-boy, Chicken Parmesan, paneed' veal, dobe roast, oyster patties, crawfish bread, bread pudding, red beans & rice, fried oysters, oyster & artichoke soup, stuffed artichoke, crab cakes, boiled crab, crab burger, soft-shell crab...

All washed down with a cold Dixie beer!

Makin' ya hungry yet?!  Smiley

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 2:08am

deckhand wrote on Jul 30th, 2008 at 7:59pm:
When I first moved to New Orleans thirty years ago...the two things I cried for were fall and chicken & dumplings.  They just aren't to be found down here.  Have plenty of mild winters and nice springs, real HOT, HUMID summers, but no brisk air and colorful change of leaves like Cairo.

After meeting Mr. Deckhand, I asked him where I could get real good chicken & dumplings.  He told me from a stewing hen-- and bisquik.  Or else from "Poor Folks Restaurant."  (Never!)

Then he showed me how he cooks gumbo, crawfish etoufee', stewed chicken in a red or brown gravy, roast beef po-boy, Chicken Parmesan, paneed' veal, dobe roast, oyster patties, crawfish bread, bread pudding, red beans & rice, fried oysters, oyster & artichoke soup, stuffed artichoke, crab cakes, boiled crab, crab burger, soft-shell crab...

All washed down with a cold Dixie beer!

Makin' ya hungry yet?!  Smiley

Hungry....that made me ravenous and here I thought it was time for bed.  Guess I'll raid the fridge first.

I tried Poor Folks when I first came down here.   Their chicken and dumplings weren't bad and they did a pretty good country fried steak.  Of course, Mom's were better.   

Now if I get really hungry for chicken and dumplings, I'm afraid the best I can do is Sweet Sue with a stick of butter thrown in for good measure and plenty of pepper.   My first mother- in- law used the canned biscuits for her dumplings.  Not my favorite choice, but we ate at her house every Sunday.   

Actually,  my cooking seems to be changing.   Hubby says make it easy on yourself and I do. Shocked Grin

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 12:48pm

I used to make dumplings with canned biscuits, nothing wrong with that.

My hubby just isn't one for chix & dumplings...so whenever I get a hankerin' I'm like you:  Sweet Sue.  Wink

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 1:34pm

Do you remember Bob Smith's restaurant & his home made chicken & dumplings?

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 3:05pm

still_here wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 1:34pm:
Do you remember Bob Smith's restaurant & his home made chicken & dumplings?

Of course!  No Sunday was complete without a lunch there of chix & dumplings, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans or corn, hot buttered rolls, and pecan pie.  Yummmm  

Did you ever eat in Olive Branch at a place called the Kozy Korner Cafe?  Right-hand side of Rt. 3?  They filled my need for chix & dumplings in the 70s.

And Glenn's Truckstop also had them some good chix & dumplings on their Sunday buffet.  Smiley

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 4:19pm

Kosy Korner is still there & still has chic & dump., I'll have stop & try some.

IP Logged

Medic Ron
God Member

Mayor of Stoogeland

New Albany, Indiana
Reply #13 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 5:04pm

I think a chick dumped me there once.  or some where Cool

WWW medic6613  
IP Logged

Ice-P
God Member

Superhero and President-For-Life
of Stoogeville!!!

Reply #14 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 5:52pm

Medic Ron wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 5:04pm:
I think a chick dumped me there once.  or some where Cool

Just one of a host of chicks probably......

I've never killed a person.... but I've read several obituaries with pleasure.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print