Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hot Sauce (Read 7765 times)
LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Re: Hot Sauce
Reply #15 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:45pm

still_here wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 4:19pm:
Kosy Korner is still there & still has chic & dump., I'll have stop & try some.

Boy, they had really good pies too.  The crusts were made the old fashioned way, with lard.   Man, were they rich.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #16 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:50pm

There was a little cafe over in Wickliffe on the main drag...it had the best mince meat pie. Or was it raisin?  Loved it as a kid.  Haven't eaten it since.

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #17 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 12:08am

deckhand wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:50pm:
There was a little cafe over in Wickliffe on the main drag...it had the best mince meat pie. Or was it raisin?  Loved it as a kid.  Haven't eaten it since.

and now you go and mention mince meat pie.   You devil.   I have just been talking about it.   I wonder if they still sell those little packages of the stuff. 

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #18 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 12:32am

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Medic Ron
God Member

Mayor of Stoogeland

New Albany, Indiana
Reply #19 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 5:52am

deckhand wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:50pm:
There was a little cafe over in Wickliffe on the main drag...it had the best mince meat pie. Or was it raisin?  Loved it as a kid.  Haven't eaten it since.

It was a thingy roach. Cool

All bleeding stops...eventually.
WWW medic6613  
IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #20 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 5:00pm

still_here wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 1:34pm:
Do you remember Bob Smith's restaurant & his home made chicken & dumplings?

There was another place besides Bob's Restaurant, Glenn's, and Kozy Korner that had good chicken & dumplings...

Anyone remember The Goose Pit out on Rt. 3 Olive Branch?  They had a great smorgasbord, complete with chix & dumplin's.  Whatever happened to it?  Seem to remember another place down the road from it called The Honker.  Don't remember if they sold food....

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #21 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 2:31pm

I remember the Goose Pit.  Had my first fish cooked with the head still on.  His eye followed me the whole time I ate it.

IP Logged

Longone
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Superman City
Reply #22 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 5:12pm

OOOOO!!!!!!! Creepy!!

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #23 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 12:59pm

Can anyone tell me where Ouida's is?  I hear they have some good hamburgers...

IP Logged

Geoff W

Cairo Shall Rise Again!

Massac Counuty, IL
Reply #24 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 7:02pm

Ouida's is the old Shoe's Tavern.  Located on the east side drive across from the boat docks.  I haven't bee there in years.  My dad used to take me to Shoe's after goose or duck hunting and fishing.  My favorite food there was the fried fruit pies served up with a big ole glass of cold milk.  Mmmmm-mmmmm-mmmm!!!!  Smiley

The Goose Pit was great too.  It had caricatures of local goose hunters, pictures of geese, goose pits, etc. adorning the walls.  The food was good too.  Then again, it's all good!  Roll Eyes

"The excellence of every government is its adaptation to the state of those to be governed by it."-Thomas Jefferson 1816&&
WWW bluwolf151  
IP Logged

PEABODY
God Member

official sh*t stirrer
of stoogeville!

cairo
Reply #25 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 7:20pm

Geoff W wrote on Aug 5th, 2008 at 7:02pm:
Ouida's is the old Shoe's Tavern.  Located on the east side drive across from the boat docks.  I haven't bee there in years.  My dad used to take me to Shoe's after goose or duck hunting and fishing.  My favorite food there was the fried fruit pies served up with a big ole glass of cold milk.  Mmmmm-mmmmm-mmmm!!!!  Smiley

The Goose Pit was great too.  It had caricatures of local goose hunters, pictures of geese, goose pits, etc. adorning the walls.  The food was good too.  Then again, it's all good!  Roll Eyes

did you say "fried prune pies"?? Grin Grin

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #26 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 8:01pm

Geoff W wrote on Aug 5th, 2008 at 7:02pm:
Ouida's is the old Shoe's Tavern.  Located on the east side drive across from the boat docks.  I haven't bee there in years.  My dad used to take me to Shoe's after goose or duck hunting and fishing.  My favorite food there was the fried fruit pies served up with a big ole glass of cold milk.  Mmmmm-mmmmm-mmmm!!!!  Smiley

The Goose Pit was great too.  It had caricatures of local goose hunters, pictures of geese, goose pits, etc. adorning the walls.  The food was good too.  Then again, it's all good!  Roll Eyes

I loved Shoe's chili...especially on a nippy fall afternoon.

It's so nice to have you back on the board, Geoff.  You answer my questions!  Thanks.  Smiley

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #27 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 9:31pm

Shoe's was neat during hunting season.   I remember one time they cooked up a big batch of mush and filling and let everyone make their own tamales and roll them in corn husks.

They had a really good juke box just filled with old, old,old, (did I say old?) 45's.   I loved it.   I would take the kids out there of a weekend afternoon and we would just people watch.  Oh and read all the business cards stapled to the walls and ceilings.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #28 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 10:48pm

Hunting season...Is the Sportsman Club still open up there?

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #29 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 11:01pm

deckhand wrote on Aug 5th, 2008 at 10:48pm:
Hunting season...Is the Sportsman Club still open up there?

Were you there before they built the new one?  I loved the old one.  Thought it had lots of local "character" .   The new one didn't feel the same so I only went there a time or two; but I do hope it has managed to survive. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print