Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alligators (Read 3638 times)
deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Alligators
Aug 1st, 2008 at 8:52am

By now I'm sure you've heard about the 11 yr old Louisiana boy who had his arm bit off by an alligator.  Well that's in my neighborhood.  I know where that pond is, have walked or driven past it many times. When my children were younger they knew where it was too.  But thankfully they were never tempted to go in swimming.

The irony of the whole situation (which ISN'T FUNNY in the slightest, but I didn't know where else to post this) is, we have a neighborhood pool.  Or at least we had one in working order before Hurricane Katrina.  The grant money was there to fix it up but no took the ball and ran with it to get it up and running.  Perhaps, just perhaps, if that pool had been opened, Devin Funck would still have his arm from the shoulder down.

I'm as guilty as the next person.  I figured once my kids were grown, which they are, I'd have no more need to be a member of the pool. So what did I care if others' children would.

I was wrong.  We are our brothers' keepers.  I let my membership to my homeowners association run out.  I'm still on their mailing list and I can still attend meetings, though.

That's precisely what I should do.  There is "safety in numbers," and the residents of my neighborhood need to remind our officials (the sheriff, the parish board, the Wildfire & Fisheries authories) that until this incident Wednesday there were no warning signs at that lake.  Even though most people in close proximity knew of the gator threat--some even saw them in their front yards when they'd go out to pick up their morning newspapers--nothing by the parish or state had been done to remedy it.  The response of the sheriff was, we are trying to determine if capturing alligators is legal!  The one who bit off the boy's arm had been in the lake for so long that a few residents who had seen it named it "Big Joe."

I know Louisiana has alligators.  After all we are swamp land. (Apparently Napolean knew it too and sold us to Jefferson!)  But like most mothers, most human beings, I want to see children have a safe place to play.

The police, medics, and physicians did an admirable job saving that kid's life, and trying to save the use of his arm, which sadly couldn't be reattached.  Their efforts make me proud to be an American.

The boy's first words to the police officer on the scene were, "Mr. Policeman, am I going to die?"

In typical kid fashion, his next:  "Could you get my Paintball gun for me?"

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Re: Alligators
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 1:01pm

No sorry, I hadn't heard about this.  I'll but him in my prayers.

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 1:37pm

Deckhand,

I watched this story on the news last night and again today at noon and wondered if you were close by.   Our prayers are with the child, and I hope someone is having gator burgers as we speak.   I think they may have been taken off the endangered list, it's about time we made them  few enough in number to be put back on it.   

We have seen them in City Park Lake that runs under Interstate 10 at Dalrymple and, a couple of weeks ago we saw a fairly good sized one in Livingston parish.   Of course, I blame humans for continuing to push civilization into the wild, but since we do,  we have to find a way to contain the  creatures  and stymie their population growth.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 1:48pm

LunaLady wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 1:37pm:
Deckhand,

I watched this story on the news last night and again today at noon and wondered if you were close by.   Our prayers are with the child, and I hope someone is having gator burgers as we speak.   I think they may have been taken off the endangered list, it's about time we made them  few enough in number to be put back on it.  

We have seen them in City Park Lake that runs under Interstate 10 at Dalrymple and, a couple of weeks ago we saw a fairly good sized one in Livingston parish.   Of course, I blame humans for continuing to push civilization into the wild, but since we do,  we have to find a way to contain the  creatures  and stymie their population growth.

I have to agree with you about us humans pushing civilization into the wild, although in fairness my subdivision has been here over 25 years.  In a strange way I feel sorry for those poor creatures...they have to be somewhere.  In smaller numbers of course.  And NEVER at the expense of human life or limb.

As to "gator burgers"...I've never had 'em.  Mr. Deckhand has eaten BBQ alligator and alligator sauce piquante (especially at the Jazz Fest!)Those gators should definitely be hunted--and eaten-- more.

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 3:04pm

Make nice looking boots.

IP Logged

PEABODY
God Member

official sh*t stirrer
of stoogeville!

cairo
Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 7:27pm

deckhand wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 1:48pm:
LunaLady wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 1:37pm:
Deckhand,

I watched this story on the news last night and again today at noon and wondered if you were close by.   Our prayers are with the child, and I hope someone is having gator burgers as we speak.   I think they may have been taken off the endangered list, it's about time we made them  few enough in number to be put back on it.  

We have seen them in City Park Lake that runs under Interstate 10 at Dalrymple and, a couple of weeks ago we saw a fairly good sized one in Livingston parish.   Of course, I blame humans for continuing to push civilization into the wild, but since we do,  we have to find a way to contain the  creatures  and stymie their population growth.

I have to agree with you about us humans pushing civilization into the wild, although in fairness my subdivision has been here over 25 years.  In a strange way I feel sorry for those poor creatures...they have to be somewhere.  In smaller numbers of course.  And NEVER at the expense of human life or limb.

As to "gator burgers"...I've never had 'em.  Mr. Deckhand has eaten BBQ alligator and alligator sauce piquante (especially at the Jazz Fest!)Those gators should definitely be hunted--and eaten-- more.

good meal for hootors Cheesy Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 5:01pm

Our newspaper, The New Orleans Times Picayune, had a front page article today on the boy who had his arm bitten off by an alligator. It was very gut-wrenching, but also very hopeful due to the kid's pure spunkiness.  He's now being fitted for a prosthetic arm, but costs for one range from $6,000 to 100,000.  So a local group is going to hold a fundraiser for him this month, with food, raffles, and music.

One interesting note about the fundraiser: They're going to give the stuffed head of Ol' Joe the Gator to the boy.

As Devin says, "It takes my arm.  I take its head."

You gotta love that kid's attitude.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2008 at 6:49pm by deckhand »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print