Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Vicious dog (Read 14608 times)
turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Re: Vicious dog
Reply #15 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 6:26pm

Ice-P wrote on Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:47am:
You read into it whatever you want to, Bub.  It's called a pun, get a sense of humor.  

ditto and double ditto

IP Logged

NataS

Jackson, MO
Reply #16 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 6:37pm

turnipgreens wrote on Feb 17th, 2009 at 6:26pm:
You read into it whatever you want to, Bub.  It's called a pun, get a sense of humor.  

ditto and double ditto

I see you ran out of original ideas turnipgreens.   But I digress. 

I am glad my sense of respect for others outweighs my sense of humor.  I got out of high school a long time ago.

Life, by definition, is a terminal disease.
WWW natas123487 natasuf  
IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #17 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 7:09pm

Gee, what a kind and respectful thing to say.  Thank you for the wonderful compliment, knat.

IP Logged

NataS

Jackson, MO
Reply #18 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 8:10pm

I see that you, however, still have a high school mentality.  I won't go down that road with you.  It's awfully sad that a person has to argue the merits of not being disrespectful of others.  Maybe this microcosm you guys have here is very indicative of the problem Cairo City faces.

WWW natas123487 natasuf  
IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #19 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 10:35pm

No we just don't believe you have to be politically correct all the time on this board.  So around here the Irish tell jokes about the Polish.  The Catholics are made the blunt of jokes by the Protestants. The Jews make fun of everyone.  I laugh at the black comedian jokes on HBO about white men & women.  We have the intelligence to know when someone is telling a joke around here.  Since you are new you are not aware that we have member on here made up of Jews, Catholics, Protestants, Polish, Irish etc...  true no one has admitted to being a Muslim but can you blame them?  Grin joke, sorry but couldn't let that one by.  Cheesy

Jokes are not being disrespectful of others unless you don't have a sense of humor.  Didn't you ever watch "The Jefferson's" growing up?

IP Logged

NataS

Jackson, MO
Reply #20 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 10:50pm

still_here wrote on Feb 17th, 2009 at 10:35pm:
No we just don't believe you have to be politically correct all the time on this board.

It's not about being politically correct.  It's about respect.  I respect different religions, races, genders, castes, etc.  enough not to make disparaging remarks (even if they take the form of a "joke").

We have the intelligence to know when someone is telling a joke around here.
I also took note that is was meant to be a joke.... a very distasteful one.

Since you are new you are not aware that we have member on here made up of Jews, Catholics, Protestants, Polish, Irish etc...  

Funny how "Christians" of all races are so hypocritical , huh?

Didn't you ever watch "The Jefferson's" growing up?

No.

WWW natas123487 natasuf  
IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #21 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 10:55pm

In that case I'll warn ya to stay out of Stoogeville!  Grin Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes Lips Sealed

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #22 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 2:35pm

NataS wrote on Feb 17th, 2009 at 11:03am:

Actually, it's not a pun. it's malapropism

By definition, puns must be deliberate; an involuntary substitution of similar words is called a malapropism

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
And it's still not funny.

Excuse us.  you don't think that Ice-P's joke was deliberate?      

IP Logged

NataS

Jackson, MO
Reply #23 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 2:44pm

LunaLady wrote on Feb 18th, 2009 at 2:35pm:
Excuse us.  you don't think that Ice-P's joke was deliberate?      

deliberate, yes,  funny, no. 

That's not at all what my previous post tried (in very simple terms) to explain.  Sorry I don't have the time to educate you.

WWW natas123487 natasuf  
IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #24 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 2:55pm

NataS wrote on Feb 18th, 2009 at 2:44pm:
LunaLady wrote on Feb 18th, 2009 at 2:35pm:
Excuse us.  you don't think that Ice-P's joke was deliberate?      

deliberate, yes,  funny, no.  

That's not at all what my previous post tried (in very simple terms) to explain.  Sorry I don't have the time to educate you.

While most people don't rely on Wikipedia because it can be posted to by anyone, I find  their definition for pun IS quite a good one.   There is also an interesting discussion that can be accessed by one of the links you will find there.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

NataS

Jackson, MO
Reply #25 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 3:02pm

LunaLady wrote on Feb 18th, 2009 at 2:55pm:
While most people don't rely on Wikipedia because it can be posted to by anyone, I find  their definition for pun IS quite a good one.   There is also an interesting discussion that can be accessed by one of the links you will find there.

from your own link:

"By definition, puns must be deliberate; an involuntary substitution of similar words is called a malapropism."

lol

WWW natas123487 natasuf  
IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #26 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 3:05pm

NataS wrote on Feb 18th, 2009 at 3:02pm:
LunaLady wrote on Feb 18th, 2009 at 2:55pm:
While most people don't rely on Wikipedia because it can be posted to by anyone, I find  their definition for pun IS quite a good one.   There is also an interesting discussion that can be accessed by one of the links you will find there.

from your own link:

"By definition, puns must be deliberate; an involuntary substitution of similar words is called a malapropism."

lol

As I said previously...do you think it wasn't deliberate?   
It's been fun providing you with your idea of entertainment, but now I must say " Good  Afternoon."

IP Logged

NataS

Jackson, MO
Reply #27 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 3:07pm

But this is not the reason at all why I commented on the joke in the first place.  If people don't understand that making fun of another group, whether religious, racial, ethnic, gender, etc....is wrong,  then I don't think any further discussion here will help.  

This is something I was taught from a very young age.  It seems if you haven't learned it by now,  you never will.  That is all I have to say about any of this.  You guys can have the last word.

WWW natas123487 natasuf  
IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #28 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 3:39pm

I really wanted to stay out of this thread-- and let you have the last word, Natas--but I can't help responding.

I too was brought up to respect others...others' religions, nationalities, races, social classes.

But I am also a product of my generation, the "Is nothing sacred?" National Lampoon and SNL one.

I laughed at the joke at first (Sorry Ice, it's losing it's punch now!) because I believe for humor to be funny, it has to have an element of truth to it.

And like it or not, since 911 Muslims are being perceived as "attacking" everyone.  Of course it's the radical Islamists that hold this idea of Jihad, or holy war...but it's just rubbing off on every Muslim, just the same.  And that's a shame. My children are best friends (truly, not trying to blow smoke) with a Muslim sister and brother.  I've always treated these kids with respect, like they're one of my own.  Once I served them red beans and rice, and the boy asked if there was pork in it.  I told him no. (I'm a quasi-vegetarian and had cooked it with turkey sausage.)  But I explained that my husband's relatives are Jewish and to them pork is also forbidden.  You could see in this kid's eyes a bond forming between us because I took the time to hear about his religion.

Makes me think of the story my husband always tells, of eating a hot dog on Good Friday.  He caught it both ways: from his daddy for eating a hot dog, and from his mama for eating meat on Good Friday.

Another time one of my son's friends, a Mormon, was over playing video games.  Another friend of my son's (a born-again Christian) showed up and the topic of religion came up.  (This was during the GOP primary when Mitt Romney, a Mormon, was running and being attacked by some in his party for not being a "true Christian.") Well,  by the end of their conversation, misconceptions about the Mormon religion were cleared up and the two guys came to respect each other's differences--and similarities in their belief in God.

Look, I don't profess to have all the answers.  I'll just leave it all up to a Higher Power and hope everything comes out in the wash.

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #29 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 3:44pm

NataS wrote on Feb 18th, 2009 at 3:07pm:
But this is not the reason at all why I commented on the joke in the first place.  If people don't understand that making fun of another group, whether religious, racial, ethnic, gender, etc....is wrong,  then I don't think any further discussion here will help.  

This is something I was taught from a very young age.  It seems if you haven't learned it by now,  you never will.  That is all I have to say about any of this.  You guys can have the last word.

Jeff,  when it is okay for one group to make fun of another but not vice versa then there is a problem.   When everyone can laugh at themselves or with others then the world is a better place.    I've long been the butt of jokes...too tall, four-eved, too-big, even too skinny.   Too smart, too dumb, too backwoods, too citified.    It would be wonderful if the whole world could take a page out of the Cajun "coon-ass" book and learn to truly make lemonade.  One thing living in Louisiana has taught me is not to take life so seriously.

Modified to add:      And after reading deckhand's post,  I have to add, I agree that we must learn to understand one another's differences; however, history and the Jewish  and Irish comedians (both being groups that were looked down on and disparaged) have also taught that humor is a great unifier..and they held noone and nothing sacred.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print