Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Chicken Spaghetti (Read 5106 times)
turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Chicken Spaghetti
Jan 27th, 2009 at 9:06am

Ok, before ya'll start on me, I realize I can't spell.  But who remembers this cassarole dish everybodies Mama used to make back in the late 60's early 70's?  It was really good, but I can't for the life of me remember what all was in it.  Might have had cream of mushroom soup, but thats all I can remember.  Does anybody have this recipe?
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2009 at 8:00pm by turnipgreens »  

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Re: Chicken Spegetti
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 2:02pm

First time I ate it was at Nell Johnson's house...She probably has a recipe.

Oh yeah and whitegirl does too.  Know she makes chicken "spaghetti".

IP Logged

redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Re: Chicken Spaghetti
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 11:03pm

Hey Turnip, good to hear from you. I do have a recipe for chicken spaghetti. Its so easy.  The secret to the pasta is to cook it in your chicken broth after you have cooked your chicken. Melt a stick of butter, throw in a chopped onion, a chopped green pepper, some garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper. Hang on to your broth because after the veggies have cooked, add one can of mushroom soup and one can of tomato soup. Add pasta and chicken.  After you mix all this up, if its thick, add the reserved broth. Throw in some cheddar and put a little on top. Bake at 350 til bubbly.  Freezes well. Your turn... Wink

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 12:00pm

Don't you just love cooks that don't give precise amounts but just "eye" the amounts?  Grin  

Ditto my mom use to make it & she had one pan that it fit in, a 4 qt. corning dish.  Seems every thing my mom made, she used a certain dish has her measurement.  Cheesy  Fudge had to be made in the same frying pan & pored onto the right meat platter.  Popcorn could only be made in one sauce pan without a matching lid so the steam could escape! She had one spoon that wasn't a measuring spoon but that she new how much of a spice was needed by were it went on this spoon. Use to like to watch her cook. You'd now what we were having for dinner or dessert by which pans she was using!  Shocked And they call cooking a science.  Cool

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 7:22pm

redboy wrote on Jan 30th, 2009 at 11:03pm:
Hey Turnip, good to hear from you. I do have a recipe for chicken spaghetti. Its so easy.  The secret to the pasta is to cook it in your chicken broth after you have cooked your chicken. Melt a stick of butter, throw in a chopped onion, a chopped green pepper, some garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper. Hang on to your broth because after the veggies have cooked, add one can of mushroom soup and one can of tomato soup. Add pasta and chicken.  After you mix all this up, if its thick, add the reserved broth. Throw in some cheddar and put a little on top. Bake at 350 til bubbly.  Freezes well. Your turn... Wink

I KNEW you had the recipe, Redboy.  Remember when you lived down here, and brought some chicken spaghetti over one night for me and Mr. Deckhand?  Wink Grin

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 12:57pm

Hey Turnip, good to hear from you. I do have a recipe for chicken spaghetti. Its so easy.  The secret to the pasta is to cook it in your chicken broth after you have cooked your chicken. Melt a stick of butter, throw in a chopped onion, a chopped green pepper, some garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper. Hang on to your broth because after the veggies have cooked, add one can of mushroom soup and one can of tomato soup. Add pasta and chicken.  After you mix all this up, if its thick, add the reserved broth. Throw in some cheddar and put a little on top. Bake at 350 til bubbly.  Freezes well. Your turn... Wink

Hey Redboy, thanks!  Also many thanks to deckhand for the spelling lesson Huh Embarrassed I knew somebody on here would have that recipe.  Coming from you, I know it is the authenic one!
Don't laugh, but had to kind of scroll through old posts to figure out who you were.   Shocked Grin Wink

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 1:23pm

turnipgreens wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 12:57pm:

Hey Redboy, thanks!  Also many thanks to deckhand for the spelling lesson Huh Embarrassed I knew somebody on here would have that recipe.  Coming from you, I know it is the authenic one!
Don't laugh, but had to kind of scroll through old posts to figure out who you were.   Shocked Grin Wink

Saw the edit, T.  Gotta smile  Wink  You didn't think someone who was on the St. Joe Spelling Bee Team would let it slip!  Grin

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 1:35pm

I knew it didn't look right when i posted it, but after changing it a few times, none of it looked right Shocked.  Just laughed and decided to let it go.  Blamed it on a senior moment. Grin

I was counting on one of the St. Joe spelling bee extradonaires to help me out! Shocked

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 1:54pm

Back in the 60's  I remember all the Jr. Women's Club members made this recipe.   Pat Beadles has it.   I was one of the few who didn't and I've wanted it for year.   

Thanks so much for posting it.   I do remember Pat saying, start with a bay leaf.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 7:38pm

LunaLady wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 1:54pm:
Back in the 60's  I remember all the Jr. Women's Club members made this recipe.   Pat Beadles has it.   I was one of the few who didn't and I've wanted it for year.  

Thanks so much for posting it.   I do remember Pat saying, start with a bay leaf.

Bay leaf is always a good start...had a bay leaf bush in my backyard prior to Katrina.  Seemed my red beans and rice just tasted better with a bay leaf I'd grown myself.

All this talk of casseroles gives me an idea. Yeah, yeah I know.. my Cairo Monopoly Game hasn't gotten off the ground yet, but listen to this:

A few years ago I bought a Magnolia Manor Cookbook and before that an Immanuel Lutheran one and there's lots of good Cairo recipes in them. How about having something, say, at the Manor, say, during Riverboat Days, when a lot of people are in town (old, new, former Cairoites) a "Cairo Cookin'" thing?  Bring your favorite recipe--and copies, have samples for tasters, charge a fee which would go to the Manor, and have judging for prizes.

IP Logged

Geoff W

Cairo Shall Rise Again!

Massac Counuty, IL
Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:12pm

deckhand wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 7:38pm:
LunaLady wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 1:54pm:
Back in the 60's  I remember all the Jr. Women's Club members made this recipe.   Pat Beadles has it.   I was one of the few who didn't and I've wanted it for year.  

Thanks so much for posting it.   I do remember Pat saying, start with a bay leaf.

Bay leaf is always a good start...had a bay leaf bush in my backyard prior to Katrina.  Seemed my red beans and rice just tasted better with a bay leaf I'd grown myself.

All this talk of casseroles gives me an idea. Yeah, yeah I know.. my Cairo Monopoly Game hasn't gotten off the ground yet, but listen to this:

A few years ago I bought a Magnolia Manor Cookbook and before that an Immanuel Lutheran one and there's lots of good Cairo recipes in them. How about having something, say, at the Manor, say, during Riverboat Days, when a lot of people are in town (old, new, former Cairoites) a "Cairo Cookin'" thing?  Bring your favorite recipe--and copies, have samples for tasters, charge a fee which would go to the Manor, and have judging for prizes.

That's a wonderful idea, Deckhand.  May I be a judge?  I have credentials, well experience anyway.  I was a judge for the pie baking contest at the Metropolis Blues & Ques fest about 3 years ago.   Roll Eyes

"The excellence of every government is its adaptation to the state of those to be governed by it."-Thomas Jefferson 1816&&
WWW bluwolf151  
IP Logged

Geoff W

Cairo Shall Rise Again!

Massac Counuty, IL
Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:14pm

Speaking of which...why doesn't Cairo have a bar-b-que festival?  It's such an obvious gimme for the town.   Huh

"The excellence of every government is its adaptation to the state of those to be governed by it."-Thomas Jefferson 1816&&
WWW bluwolf151  
IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 7:02pm

It'd be a blast!  I'd help, with either project.

IP Logged

redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 1:03pm

BBQ cookoff is a great idea. I have mentioned this to the Riverboat committee but nobody ever acted on it. Also talked with some Cavalier Club members last summer about organizing it and getting it together for riverboat weekend. Not interested. I know the riverboat committee has their hands full on that first weekend of October and they may even have a little burn out going on, which is why we need to get creative and add to the weekend in Oct. I moved Bark in the Park to the grounds of the Manor last year and we had a blast. People got to eat lunch WITH their dogs, and we had a contest were every dog received a prize, some two prizes. We had a bake sale, and what we didn't sell we put on a table next to the parade route and sold out in minutes! Cheesy

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:47pm

redboy wrote on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 1:03pm:
BBQ cookoff is a great idea. I have mentioned this to the Riverboat committee but nobody ever acted on it. Also talked with some Cavalier Club members last summer about organizing it and getting it together for riverboat weekend. Not interested. I know the riverboat committee has their hands full on that first weekend of October and they may even have a little burn out going on, which is why we need to get creative and add to the weekend in Oct. I moved Bark in the Park to the grounds of the Manor last year and we had a blast. People got to eat lunch WITH their dogs, and we had a contest were every dog received a prize, some two prizes. We had a bake sale, and what we didn't sell we put on a table next to the parade route and sold out in minutes! Cheesy

I tried to get this started when  Dr. Bagby and I turned the festival from a one day afair to a muliti-faceted affair back in 1990.    I visited with Barbecue cook-offs in Louisiana, Missouri, and Illinois and the guys at Anna were a great help.  Monica Smith chaired the group, and we sent out over two thousand invitations or more all over the country.    Got one cussing, one "maybe" and two days before, one "I'm coming".   Of course, we thanked the "I'm coming" and apologized for our mailing. 

Part of the problem was that we were new to the action, had no known barbecuers in the sponsoring group,  and there were serveral established contests that same weekend.   If you can entice some of the known barbecuers from the area who attend the Memphis cook-off  to take an interest, you would be able to carry off a successful barbecue.  Of course,  you might have to start much smaller than we tried to do.   LOL  Walking on clouds is sometimes quite tricky.

After our failure to have the contest, however, there were a number of local barbecuers who did set up on the food court we had beside of Smith and Groves.   Man, was there some good eating down there that week.    I have never understood the Cavalier Club's reluctance to participate in what is supposed to be an enticement to make people aware that Cairo is a good place to come, to live, to spend money.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print