Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Chicken Spaghetti (Read 5479 times)
LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Re: Chicken Spaghetti
Reply #15 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:57pm

Preivious Post completed:

One of the best accolades we received was from the  out of town crafters who exhibited during the four day celebration. 
They said in most northern cities where they exhibited, blacks and whites eyed one another with suspicion and kept their distance.  They said they saw none of that during Riverboat Days, 1990,  because the people of both races who participated seemed to be friends and there were a number of us. 

It was true.    We were.     I've always felt sorry for the people who didn't join us.  Cairo is full of good people

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #16 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 12:28pm

I agree many of both black & whites that couldn't get along have left Cairo years ago.  What we have left is a good mix  of people but years of our voice not being listen to has let us without a voice.

That's what angers me when newspapers & magazines keep depicting us as still a  racist city.

Did you know many blacks like to eat spaghetti with fried catfish?  Wonder if the same is true of Chicken spaghetti?  Wink

IP Logged

redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Reply #17 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:00pm

Remember the spaghetti dinners at CHS? Cuba Cox would play the organ, there were checked tablecloths and cianti bottles with candles in them. The recipe for that  dish had a lot of chili powder in it. Huh

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #18 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 11:13pm

redboy wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:00pm:
Remember the spaghetti dinners at CHS? Cuba Cox would play the organ, there were checked tablecloths and cianti bottles with candles in them. The recipe for that  dish had a lot of chili powder in it. Huh

And the wishing fountain when you walked in.  Never will forget it.

Seems CHS or CJHS had spaghetti dinners in the old VFW Hall down behind the Library....Remember going with one of my friends from St. Joe (this was 1964) and she saw Fathers Fred and Hugh Kilfoy.  They asked us if we'd seen The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show the night before...

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #19 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 11:16pm

LunaLady wrote on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:57pm:
Preivious Post completed:

One of the best accolades we received was from the  out of town crafters who exhibited during the four day celebration.  
They said in most northern cities where they exhibited, blacks and whites eyed one another with suspicion and kept their distance.  They said they saw none of that during Riverboat Days, 1990,  because the people of both races who participated seemed to be friends and there were a number of us.  

It was true.    We were.     I've always felt sorry for the people who didn't join us.  Cairo is full of good people

You're to be commended for your work on the Riverboat Days, Missing Cairo.

My, I didn't know the festival started way back in 1990...That seems ages ago...but I'm glad it's still being held each year.

This year the RBD parade passed by the mother's house on its route, and she could sit outside on her porch and watch it.  That was great.

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #20 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 2:51pm

deckhand wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 11:16pm:

My, I didn't know the festival started way back in 1990...That seems ages ago...but I'm glad it's still being held each year.

This year the RBD parade passed by the mother's house on its route, and she could sit outside on her porch and watch it.  That was great.

1990 does seem a long time ago....knowing it continues to give pleasure to people is one of the reasons, I'm so glad I could play a part in that year's expanded celebration.  Hopefully it will continue for decades to come.  

Another reason it makes me happy is that it brought Cairo some much needed good publicity...we advertised in every magazine we could find that would take free listings and raised enough money to be able to buy tv advertising which guaranteed that we would get a few good words on tv stations which normally gave Cairo a hard way to go...... Even then, when we appeared on the talk show on WPSD, the host tried to bring up a negative portrayal of Cairo.  We just talked past him and kept smiling.  Mike Shane at Cape was a doll and really gave us good coverage.  One of the KFVS anchors was a judge for the Miss Riverboat Days contest and she gave us good press as well.[

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #21 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 2:57pm

deckhand wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 11:13pm:
redboy wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:00pm:
Remember the spaghetti dinners at CHS? Cuba Cox would play the organ, there were checked tablecloths and cianti bottles with candles in them. The recipe for that  dish had a lot of chili powder in it. Huh

And the wishing fountain when you walked in.  Never will forget it.

Seems CHS or CJHS had spaghetti dinners in the old VFW Hall down behind the Library....Remember going with one of my friends from St. Joe (this was 1964) and she saw Fathers Fred and Hugh Kilfoy.  They asked us if we'd seen The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show the night before...

Oh, yeah. Mom had the recipe.   I still make that spaghetti ....takes a lot of garlic powder and oregano, too.    Overkill but we love it.  and of course you must have garlic bread also overly seasoned.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print