Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Magnolia tree recipe (Read 10015 times)
turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Magnolia tree recipe
Feb 13th, 2009 at 7:09pm

No, we're not eating magnolias......But I've always wanted a Magnolia tree in my yard and now I can have one.  I remember a long time ago my mom was going to start one and I think she got a cone with ripe berries and stuck it down in a pot of soil.  I think the dam thing even sprouted, but never got planted.

But that just doesn't sound right to me.  Even if that worked, it'd probably take 40 yrs for it to get a decent size.  So, my question is, does anybody know how to propagate a magnolia?  Can you root a side shoot?

IP Logged

Ice-P
God Member

Superhero and President-For-Life
of Stoogeville!!!

Re: Magnolia tree recipe
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:41pm

"Can you root a side shoot?"

Please don't attempt this at home, kids.  You'll put your eye out!!!!

I've never killed a person.... but I've read several obituaries with pleasure.

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 2:01pm

Easier to just buy one at your local nursery.  Wink

Not sure but I would think you would have to put the seeds in the fridge for about 4 weeks ,then plant, so it would think it was time to sprout.  Undecided

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 3:21pm

turnipgreens wrote on Feb 13th, 2009 at 7:09pm:
No, we're not eating magnolias......But I've always wanted a Magnolia tree in my yard and now I can have one.  I remember a long time ago my mom was going to start one and I think she got a cone with ripe berries and stuck it down in a pot of soil.  I think the dam thing even sprouted, but never got planted.

But that just doesn't sound right to me.  Even if that worked, it'd probably take 40 yrs for it to get a decent size.  So, my question is, does anybody know how to propagate a magnolia?  Can you root a side shoot?

Oh, that's good.  For a minute there, I thought it was a new food group.

Say, Turnip, you know about horticulture...How hard is it to grow a hibicus bush?  Got one for Valentine's Day. (Some men give flowers, others give the whole dang plant.)  Well yesterday the red bloom was open, today it's closed.  Is that normal?  Undecided

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 4:29pm

Hibiscus can get a little finicky in the winter, but are fairly easy to grow.  I have had one for several yrs that I drag in and out of the house.  They will drop leaves like crazy when you first bring them in, but come back after a couple of months.  They like low light & humidity and like a little moisture, but I let mine get a little dry in between waterings and it blooms fairly regular.  Blooms last about a day or so.  Some will try to open back up the second day but usually will drop after that.  My crazy mcdonalds dog eats them.  Was afraid they might be poisonous, but she's still here and eats everyone of them she can get her mouth on.  If you put yours outside when it warms up, you'll have to keep it in partial shade and lots more water than when inside.  They have perenniel and tropcial hibiscus, so check to see which one you have.  Mine is tropical, but have a friend who has a perenniel one in the yard that comes back every year.  The biggest difference I see in them is the perenniel ones have huge flowers.

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 4:30pm

still_here wrote on Feb 14th, 2009 at 2:01pm:
Easier to just buy one at your local nursery.  Wink

Not sure but I would think you would have to put the seeds in the fridge for about 4 weeks ,then plant, so it would think it was time to sprout.  Undecided

Yeah, Still, I know, but I want a Cairo Magnolia!!!

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 4:46pm

turnipgreens wrote on Feb 14th, 2009 at 4:30pm:
still_here wrote on Feb 14th, 2009 at 2:01pm:
Easier to just buy one at your local nursery.  Wink

Not sure but I would think you would have to put the seeds in the fridge for about 4 weeks ,then plant, so it would think it was time to sprout.  Undecided

Yeah, Still, I know, but I want a Cairo Magnolia!!!

In that case you might check with redboy & see if there are any trees around the park that have suckers.  Some trees do have young around their base but not sure about Magnolias.  Smiley

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 3:40pm

turnipgreens wrote on Feb 14th, 2009 at 4:29pm:
Hibiscus can get a little finicky in the winter, but are fairly easy to grow.  I have had one for several yrs that I drag in and out of the house.  They will drop leaves like crazy when you first bring them in, but come back after a couple of months.  They like low light & humidity and like a little moisture, but I let mine get a little dry in between waterings and it blooms fairly regular.  Blooms last about a day or so.  Some will try to open back up the second day but usually will drop after that.  My crazy mcdonalds dog eats them.  Was afraid they might be poisonous, but she's still here and eats everyone of them she can get her mouth on.  If you put yours outside when it warms up, you'll have to keep it in partial shade and lots more water than when inside.  They have perenniel and tropcial hibiscus, so check to see which one you have.  Mine is tropical, but have a friend who has a perenniel one in the yard that comes back every year.  The biggest difference I see in them is the perenniel ones have huge flowers.

Oh so you CAN leave 'em in the pot.  Mine says it's tropical.  Right now it stands about 4 ft. tall, "boob" height on me.  It's in a kinda small pot, so maybe I need to transplant it into a larger one.  I'm thinking of one of those wooden ones on wheels.  We don't have a lot of cold nights down here, but we do get at last 3 or 4 that drop below freezing.  Wouldn't want to transplant it into the ground, then have it freeze and die.  Cry

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 12:55pm

Yeah, you'll need to transplant it or will get top heavy and fall over.  Wish I'd have put mine in a planter with wheels.  Put mine in a big clay pot.  Mr. Turnip  cusses me every spring and fall when its time for it to go in or out.  The first yr. I'd watered it a day or so before it was time for it to come in or out (can't remember which), and boy did I get a cussing that time.  Was using the little dealy that you scoot up under a car and slide around to move it  Lips Sealedat the time.  Now we use a 2 wheel cart and make sure its not freshly watered.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 12:18pm

A dolley...that's what those thingys are called.  Mr. Deckhand says he's gonna get a hand truck for my outdoor plants. After three major surgeries in one year, Mr. Deckhand has been advised by his doc to lift nothing heavier than a 5-lb. bag of sugar for the time being...

Right now I take the hibiscus outside to the patio in the morning, and then bring it in at night...giving it water when the soil feels dry, and talking to it.   I'm treating it like one of my doggies--minus the milk bones.  I bought a larger pot yesterday to repot it.  Need to get out today and buy some soil.  All Big Lots had was some Miracle Grow that had poultry waste or some such thing in it.  Sounded nasty...I kept thinking "potential bird flu."
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2009 at 2:49pm by deckhand »  

IP Logged

redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 4:20pm

By all means if you need a baby magnolia tree I can point you in the right direction.  They are all over my yard and in the park.

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 4:51pm

redboy wrote on Feb 18th, 2009 at 4:20pm:
By all means if you need a baby magnolia tree I can point you in the right direction.  They are all over my yard and in the park.

I told her to ask you!

IP Logged

Ice-P
God Member

of Stoogeville!!!

Reply #12 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 4:09pm

By all means if you need a baby magnolia tree I can point you in the right direction.  They are all over my yard and in the park.

Redboy,
I don't think she wants the ones that fell from the ice storm.  Even though there ARE plenty.

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 6:57pm

Hey Redboy!  Thanks, will be happy to take you up on that.  Although, according to someone who posts on another thread, whose name I will not menion, someone so highly intelligent, educated and ominficent, from a famous sundowner town right here in Southern Illinois, I seriously doubt I can even find my way to Cairo anymore with my high school intellect. Shocked Sad Angry

IP Logged

Ice-P
God Member

of Stoogeville!!!

Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 10:58pm

Yahoo has maps.  But have someone check it and make sure it is accurate before you leave.  Cairo is easy to miss if you don['t know where you're going.............

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print