Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Magnolia tree recipe (Read 10797 times)
redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Re: Magnolia tree recipe
Reply #15 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 10:47am

Hey turnip - I have a sappling in my yard that is 4ft. tall.  How can I safely dig it up and transplant it. Aren't soft wooded trees planted in the spring?

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #16 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 1:19pm

What's the weather like up there, redboy? 

It might be a good idea to wait until spring to transplant.

I know down here I'm waiting.  And we don't have the cold temps and snow and ice like you all do.

IP Logged

kywmn
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Decatur IL
Reply #17 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 6:34am

In regards to transplanting trees.  I live in Decatur IL and in the
90's I dug up a Dogwood sapling from behind my grandmother's
house in western Ky.  I left a lot of dirt around the roots and
transported it home.  I planted it in my backyard and it was
several yrs. before it started blooming.  For about the last 10
yrs. it has bloomed every spring.  I made sure it got lots of
water for several weeks when I first planted it.  I filled empty
milk jugs with water.  I took a nail and punched a hole in
the bottom of the jug so there would be a slow leak and
kept a jug of water sitting next to the tree everyday.
I transplanted it in the spring.  If it works with a Dogwood,
it might with a Magnolia.

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #18 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 10:16am

redboy wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 10:47am:
Hey turnip - I have a sappling in my yard that is 4ft. tall.  How can I safely dig it up and transplant it. Aren't soft wooded trees planted in the spring?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Redboy  has the Historical Society ever thought about selling Magnolia saplings from Cairo trees as a fund raiser?  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #19 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 12:03pm

kywmn wrote on Feb 24th, 2009 at 6:34am:
In regards to transplanting trees.  I live in Decatur IL and in the
90's I dug up a Dogwood sapling from behind my grandmother's
house in western Ky.  I left a lot of dirt around the roots and
transported it home.  I planted it in my backyard and it was
several yrs. before it started blooming.  For about the last 10
yrs. it has bloomed every spring.  I made sure it got lots of
water for several weeks when I first planted it.  I filled empty
milk jugs with water.  I took a nail and punched a hole in
the bottom of the jug so there would be a slow leak and
kept a jug of water sitting next to the tree everyday.
I transplanted it in the spring.  If it works with a Dogwood,
it might with a Magnolia.

It also works with a redbud from Webster Groves. Mo. and a lilac from Columbia.   Mom had transplants in her yard.  Oh, and beautiful roses from Sikeston, Mo.   Where I grew up on Center Street, we had a Rose of Sharon from Texas.  Mom was one of those "stick it in the ground and let nature do its thing" gardners.  Well,  she did use a fair amount of manure on her houseplants every few years....ugh!

IP Logged

redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Reply #20 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 3:39pm

Thanks for the water jug idea. That's great! And no, the Historical Society hasn't sold any magnolia saplings. But Mr. Joe put some ginko seeds in pots and they sprouted. He gave them away to tourists. But we did just have a MARDI GRAS PARTY on Sunday.  Flowing champagne, bloody marys, oysters and shrimp, king cake and pralines. Steve Williams and his jazz band performed along with a singer from Chicago and our own Paul Jones (circuit clerk) The Manor was transformed to look like something in the Quarter.  We even had tourists from Chicago that day who were treated to champagne and food. My sister and I put it on. We do it every year on the sunday before Ash Wednesday. Hey all you former Cairoites, you should be here for this! Smiley Cool

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #21 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 3:58pm

Problem with ginkgo seeds sprouting is you are not guaranteed a male tree.  You could get a female with all that stinky fruit!  Tongue

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #22 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 6:43pm

Confucious say, "Nasty fruit...good for you".   

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Redboy,   I've got a feeling I missed a heck of a party.    It sounds like it was wonderful.
I've got my Zulu beads and my Spanish town flamingo.   The trees along the parade routes are blooming all kinds of festive jewelry.   We're looking bee-u-t-full, but the fun ends at midnight.

IP Logged

kywmn
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Decatur IL
Reply #23 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 9:28pm

Sounds like a really fun party!  Is Tootie Newton still involved
with the Manor? In the 70's we were friends with Tootie and
Don.  I remember she did some of the decorating at the Manor.

IP Logged

redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Reply #24 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 8:57am

No Tootie isn't involved anymore. But I would welcome her anytime she wanted to come over and help. She and several other women used to decorate the Manor and did a hellova job. Susie Simmons also comes to mind  (God rest her soul). She was another mega talented woman.

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #25 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 11:39am

redboy wrote on Feb 25th, 2009 at 8:57am:
No Tootie isn't involved anymore. But I would welcome her anytime she wanted to come over and help. She and several other women used to decorate the Manor and did a hellova job. Susie Simmons also comes to mind  (God rest her soul). She was another mega talented woman.

I hope Tootie knows how much you admire what she used to do.   I bet it would make her day to hear it from you.    She also chaired the first tour of homes for Riverboat Days.....wow!  did she ever do a super job.    She's very good at whatever she does. Smiley

IP Logged

redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Reply #26 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 9:59pm

She does and I did! Wink

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #27 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 7:42pm

redboy wrote on Feb 24th, 2009 at 3:39pm:
Thanks for the water jug idea. That's great! And no, the Historical Society hasn't sold any magnolia saplings. But Mr. Joe put some ginko seeds in pots and they sprouted. He gave them away to tourists. But we did just have a MARDI GRAS PARTY on Sunday.  Flowing champagne, bloody marys, oysters and shrimp, king cake and pralines. Steve Williams and his jazz band performed along with a singer from Chicago and our own Paul Jones (circuit clerk) The Manor was transformed to look like something in the Quarter.  We even had tourists from Chicago that day who were treated to champagne and food. My sister and I put it on. We do it every year on the sunday before Ash Wednesday. Hey all you former Cairoites, you should be here for this! Smiley Cool

Dang it, Redboy, I moved home so I could attend these affairs Smiley Cheesy.  How do I get in the loop to find out about these cool happenings?

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #28 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 7:56pm

redboy wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 10:47am:
Hey turnip - I have a sappling in my yard that is 4ft. tall.  How can I safely dig it up and transplant it. Aren't soft wooded trees planted in the spring?

If you want me too, I'll come down and help you.  Have been doing some research and its one of those trees that need a good root ball, has lots of "feeler" roots that you need to take in order for it to get well established.  Transplanting should be done after ave. last frost day, 4/15.   Grin
I like that water jug idea.  Have done the same with an old piece of hose with holes poked in it for the "trickle effect", works pretty good!  Jugs painted black and filled with water work pretty good too set around the base of plants if you need just a little warmth at night if it gets kinda cold after you've planted your tomatoes too early.  The water gets warm during the day and radiates heat at night when it gets chilly.

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #29 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 8:07pm

Excellent tip, Ice.  Somehow, when I get down that way, my vehicle automatically steers over to Boomland for tobacco and turnipgreens at Wally's (I think thats still the name)! Cheesy Wink Smiley.  Geeez, I love that place, goood eats.
I'll have to have a stern talking with that vehicle, so it stops at Redboy's house on the way Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print