Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Magnolia tree recipe (Read 10016 times)
deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Re: Magnolia tree recipe
Reply #30 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 4:49pm

Just got in from doing yard work (it's 75 degrees plus down here, don't hate me!) and saw your post, T. about Wally's Boomland. We usually take a quick pitstop there on the way up.  (The coffees good, the gas is cheaper, the restrooms are plentiful, never a wait.)  Mr. Deckhand's always wanting to try out their food, but we usually hold our appetites for Macks, Shemwells, or the Chinese Buffett.  I'll have to tell him Turnipgreens says the turnipsgreens are delicious.

Hey redboy, do ya think a Cairo magnolia cutting would last until I could get one down here in a few months...like around Eastertime?  I'd sure like to plant one over at the country house...it could use some good shade trees.  

Speaking of trees..we get a lot of redbirds (Cardinals and Robins) and blue jays in our yard.  I love birds...their singing and colors, don't get me wrong...but they sure mess on my patio furniture.  I do hose the furniture off, but wondered if there was something else I could do?

Any ideas?  Undecided  Thanks.  Smiley

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #31 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 9:56pm

75 degrees!!!! holy shit! Huh Shocked  good for you, maybe its on its way here pretty soon.   
one way I found that kind of works for your particular predicament with the birds is to put out a water source for them a ways away from your patio and also hang out a couple of feeders for them , too.  Kind of re-direct their behavior, like you'd do kids Kiss  keep em close, but not too far away kind of thing Shocked

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #32 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 11:22am

I've got this St. Francis statue in my yard, and he's holding a bowl in his hands. I 've put bird seed in it, but the birds won't touch it.

Whats up with that?  Undecided

IP Logged

redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Reply #33 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 2:22pm

I don't have a clue about why the birds won't eat out of St. Francis' hand, but I will start potting some magnolia seedlings for you. Wink

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #34 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 2:49pm

Thanks, redboy.

Now...here's my next garden inquiry.  I go out in the yard today and see wasps nesting in my birdhouses.

My question:  Should I --as a nature lover--just leave them alone?  Or should I kill them with wasp spray?  And won't the insecticide residue harm any birds that may nest there?

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #35 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 10:43am

That IS quite a dilema, deckhand.  You are correct to assume the residue might be harmful for the birds.  Nature lover or not, wasp nests have to go.  The birds won't come near if they are left in there.  You might try using the hose with a strong spray of water (on the "jet" setting if you have one of those nozzles).  You will have thoroughly pissed them off, so be careful.  Watch closely, when they've retreated or left (which will be temporarily), knock down their nest and smash it.  If you happen to have a cold snap down your way, that is also a good time to knock down the nests for smashing.  Nesting wasps act really stupid when it gets cold, so be very careful.

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #36 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 10:48am

deckhand wrote on Feb 28th, 2009 at 11:22am:
I've got this St. Francis statue in my yard, and he's holding a bowl in his hands. I 've put bird seed in it, but the birds won't touch it.

Whats up with that?  Undecided

It may be that they think it is a person (or any preditor).  Try scrubbing it out real good, as some birds are sensitive to human smells.  If they don't like birdseed out of St. Fran's hands, try a bowl of water, instead.  Thirsty dirty birds can't resist fresh water.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #37 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 11:40am

Thanks for both tips, turnip.  I tried knocking those nasty wasps out with a newspaper...not a smart idea.  Although I did get my much-needed exercise running from them.  Grin

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #38 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 1:00pm

Wonder if a can of Dust Remover/compressed gas duster that you use on keyboards would be stong enough to remove it & at the same time freeze them?

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #39 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 4:30pm

If you do decide to use wasp spray,  there is a foam product that will fill the holes in the nest so they can't escape.    After a visitor was stung 17 times at our house,  we used it, but we sprayed  after dark when the wasps had retired for the night.   A couple days later we destroyed the nest.   

Are you able to take the bird house down for washing?

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #40 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 6:42pm

Yes, I am, but I figured since we've had a cold snap they might have died.  If those pests are still around tomorrow--and it's warmer--I'm gonna hit then with some Raid and then wash out the birdhouse.

Had to smile, missing cairo, when you said wait 'til the wasps are sleeping.  I never really think of insects sleeping, but I suppose they do.

Good grief!  Seventeen wasp stings...I hope your visitor was okay after that.  I've known people highly allergic to bee stings. What's it called? Can't think of the name for it...

Speaking of cold snaps (March certainly does come in like a lion)...we built a fire last night.  On cleaning out the ashes from the fireplace today, I tried something new:  I put them on my outdoor plants.  I think it's called "pot ash," and is supposed to be good for them.

Anybody else ever tried this?  Does it help?

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Reply #41 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 8:22pm

deckhand wrote on Mar 2nd, 2009 at 6:42pm:
Yes, I am, but I figured since we've had a cold snap they might have died.  If those pests are still around tomorrow--and it's warmer--I'm gonna hit then with some Raid and then wash out the birdhouse.

Had to smile, missing cairo, when you said wait 'til the wasps are sleeping.  I never really think of insects sleeping, but I suppose they do.

Good grief!  Seventeen wasp stings...I hope your visitor was okay after that.  I've known people highly allergic to bee stings. What's it called? Can't think of the name for it...

Speaking of cold snaps (March certainly does come in like a lion)...we built a fire last night.  On cleaning out the ashes from the fireplace today, I tried something new:  I put them on my outdoor plants.  I think it's called "pot ash," and is supposed to be good for them.

She only had a bunch of sore bumps that hurt like the dickens but Scott is allergic to bee stings so we figure wasps stings are bad for him too....We have a store that sells all the extermination stuff and they're the ones who told us to spray after the wasps had "retired for the night".    It worked.    But remember,  it is a foam not a regular spray so it really fills the holes.

I don't know about using ashes directly on your plants, but the old timers made potash by pouring water over ashes from hardwood trees.   Potash is a form of lye.   They used it to make soap among other things.  

edited to say :Well, I just did a google.   Looks like I was under a misconception.   Lye is the first step in the process to making potash.  which seems to be the residue left after the water is evaporated.   Or maybe it's all called potash....duh! Embarrassed

IP Logged

turnipgreens
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #42 - Mar 3rd, 2009 at 8:48am

deckhand wrote on Mar 2nd, 2009 at 6:42pm:

Potash (K) is one of the big 3 in the NPK formulation you see on fertilizer containers.  For instance on miracle grow the npk formula is 20-20-20.  20 parts nitrogen, 20 parts phospherous and 20 parts potassium.  Potash is good for plants and is instrumental in shoot development.  The way I try to remember the NPK thing is leaf, root, shoot.  N for good leaf development; you'll see grass fertilizer with a high N number, etc.  Wood ashes are an excellent source of K, but just don't forget the N and P.
I have used ashes as a side dressing in the garden and in my compost pile, too.  Don't know if y'all have slug problems down your way, but out in PA where its always damp and cool the slugs eat almost everything in site.  Would surround my tender little transplants in ashes and the slugs wouldn't touch em.  Has kind of the salt effect on them (eewww).  Didn't find out about that trick until the slugs had entirely obliterated my entire iris collection which I had moved many times from various places, god rest their souls.  Turned the tubers straight into mush.

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #43 - Mar 3rd, 2009 at 1:47pm

Slugs?  Sure do have 'em.  They get in my house somehow.  Or do worms.  My always-hungry poodle eats them!

Like this idea that potash can kill 'em.  (The slugs that is...not my poodle!)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print