Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
where are the cairo school sports? (Read 5546 times)
simelton
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

where are the cairo school sports?
Mar 18th, 2009 at 11:29pm

its no wonder that these kids here in cairo get into so much trouble, they have nothing for these kids to do...we have basketball, softball, and track..my girls are in both basketball and softball...they no longer have football, tennis, or anything else that i can think of...it breaks my heart...idle hands do the devils work...they need to get it together for the kids sake!!! Angry

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Re: where are the cairo school sports?
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 5:18pm

True but you don't need a school sport to play tennis at the park.  This is were boy's & girls clubs after school  would help.

IP Logged

simelton
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 11:08pm

thats true, i wish we did have an after school program for the kids... its just that things have declined at cairo jr/sr high school so much over the years...even from  when i was in high school in  88-92..i played volleyball, basketball, softball..there was track, tennis, chess club,football, and some other things...im not saying that sports would cure all the problems, but it could surely help...

IP Logged

Ice-P
God Member

Superhero and President-For-Life
of Stoogeville!!!

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 10:33am

I'm not against basketball, but it seems that there are a lot of sports that can be enjoyed into middle age (or later)  that could be taught at school or Khoury league.  Basketball is for the young and limber, bowling is better for older people that break easily (like me!!!).  Plus you can bowl and drink beer, if you drink while playing basketball, the court gets messy.

I've never killed a person.... but I've read several obituaries with pleasure.

IP Logged

redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 8:13am

It takes a community to get involed to start a boys or girls club. There is no involvement here in this town.  Been there, done that. Teachers can't even get one of the parents to show up for teacher conferences. Who, then is supossed to head up these activities? Maybe our parks commissioner will get things going with activites for the kids this summer. But first, she will have to replace, repair, and repaint just about everything at St. Mary's park.  The kids have had a blast there tearing up the playground equiptment, and I have counted at least a dozen cars driving thru the park...Oh well.. Embarrassed

IP Logged

simelton
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 9:45pm

you are right...it takes us all to make it happen...the problem is how do we all pull together...it would almost take an act of congress to get people to pull together on an issue..

IP Logged

Ice-P
God Member

Superhero and President-For-Life
of Stoogeville!!!

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 8:07am

When I've been involved in after-school sports, the parents are the worst part.  They believe - win at any cost -  don't teach fundamentals, just win, win, WIN!!!!!  Kids that wouldn't dribble the basketball would just put the ball under their arm, sprint for the basket and shoot it.  No dribbling, no passing, no defense, NOTHING.  If they're going to do that, might as well not play at all.  Later, teams take offense if you walk with the ball and shoot every time you get it.  Not doing the kids any favors by making them a "hero" at age 6, if they don't really know how to play and can't make a school team later.

The same for football and baseball......Find ONE player  and depend on him (or her) to win.  Never play defense, never learn HOW to play.

I've never killed a person.... but I've read several obituaries with pleasure.

IP Logged

redboy

I love Cairo!

cairo illinois
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 2:27pm

kinda like politics in my little town! Wink

IP Logged

deckhand
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 5:08pm

redboy wrote on Mar 24th, 2009 at 8:13am:
It takes a community to get involed to start a boys or girls club. There is no involvement here in this town.  Been there, done that. Teachers can't even get one of the parents to show up for teacher conferences. Who, then is supossed to head up these activities? Maybe our parks commissioner will get things going with activites for the kids this summer. But first, she will have to replace, repair, and repaint just about everything at St. Mary's park.  The kids have had a blast there tearing up the playground equiptment, and I have counted at least a dozen cars driving thru the park...Oh well.. Embarrassed

To to get a Boys & Girls Club started in Cairo, it starts with someone taking the initiative to do the legwork.  I know.  I tried last summer.  

When I mentioned my efforts on the Topix forum, I was so berated and personally attacked by a local Cairo resident, for being one of those Cairoites who dared leave Cairo years ago, that I gave up trying to help.  Figured what's the use...

And I really wanted to help.  Sad

IP Logged

simelton
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 1:34am

i have been on the topix forum also, and definately know what you mean...it goes back to what i said about people not wanting to pull together for the greater good...the kids are the ones who will really suffer in the end..im learning to ignore most of the nay-sayers in this town, they give me a headache and they are not worth it!!!deckhand wrote on Mar 27th, 2009 at 5:08pm:
It takes a community to get involed to start a boys or girls club. There is no involvement here in this town.  Been there, done that. Teachers can't even get one of the parents to show up for teacher conferences. Who, then is supossed to head up these activities? Maybe our parks commissioner will get things going with activites for the kids this summer. But first, she will have to replace, repair, and repaint just about everything at St. Mary's park.  The kids have had a blast there tearing up the playground equiptment, and I have counted at least a dozen cars driving thru the park...Oh well.. Embarrassed

To to get a Boys & Girls Club started in Cairo, it starts with someone taking the initiative to do the legwork.  I know.  I tried last summer.  

When I mentioned my efforts on the Topix forum, I was so berated and personally attacked by a local Cairo resident, for being one of those Cairoites who dared leave Cairo years ago, that I gave up trying to help.  Figured what's the use...

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 10:34am

deckhand wrote on Mar 27th, 2009 at 5:08pm:

To to get a Boys & Girls Club started in Cairo, it starts with someone taking the initiative to do the legwork.  I know.  I tried last summer.  

Cairo kids can always use the help.  Smiley

'Big Sisters' make big differences: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Many local children still waiting for Big Brother or Big Sister

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 10:44am

simelton wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 11:08pm:
thats true, i wish we did have an after school program for the kids... its just that things have declined at cairo jr/sr high school so much over the years...even from  when i was in high school in  88-92..i played volleyball, basketball, softball..there was track, tennis, chess club,football, and some other things...im not saying that sports would cure all the problems, but it could surely help...

To bad the schools couldn't incorporate dancing into one of their sports like other schools.  Would have been a great after school program for boys & girls.  Think Dana tried to get something started but the schools said no.  At least the schools could have let her used the gym to teach the local kids so they didn't have to do without when she lost the use of the Lutheran basement.

IP Logged

simelton
YaBB Newbies

I love Cairo!

Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 9:29pm

thats a great idea, the kids would really enjoy that...i wonder how to go about making the school go for it?  do you take it before the school board? something needs to be done for the kids..i would petition for it...

To bad the schools couldn't incorporate dancing into one of their sports like other schools.  Would have been a great after school program for boys & girls.  Think Dana tried to get something started but the schools said no.  At least the schools could have let her used the gym to teach the local kids so they didn't have to do without when she lost the use of the Lutheran basement.
[/quote]

IP Logged

still_here
God Member

I love Cairo!

Reply #13 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 1:19pm

simelton wrote on Mar 28th, 2009 at 9:29pm:
thats a great idea, the kids would really enjoy that...i wonder how to go about making the school go for it?  do you take it before the school board? something needs to be done for the kids..i would petition for it...

Seems to me we are getting ready to vote for our BOE.  Why don't you call or go in person to talk to each one running & see were they stand on this issue.  Then let the rest of us on this board know so we will know how to vote.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print