Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
It's Spring Time
  The Forum recently upgraded software.  Had some files not transfer nicely; so, was some minor issues.  Hopefully its back to some normalcy.  Problems , let us know.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Born in Cairo (Read 1943 times)
Amy
YaBB Newbies

I Love My City

Born in Cairo
Nov 2nd, 2010 at 10:44am

My name is Amy.  My grandparents were Joseph and Mary McGruder.  Grandma was Mary White.  First marriage her name was McClellan.  Grandpa was a meterologist.  My Dad, Louis McClellan, Sr. at one time was an announcer for WKRO.  Grandma and Grandpa lived at 738 Center St.  Hazel White LeRoy was my great aunt.  Blanch and Will White were great aunt and uncle.  My mama was Elizabeth Ann O'Leary McClellan.  Mama died 11/8/1958.  My father died March 13, 2010.  I have so many great memories of Cairo when I lived and or visited as a young girl.  Tigert Memorial Methodist Church, St Patrick's, Henkel's Drugs, the movies, downtown shopping, going to the levee, Safford School, brick paved Washington AVe, Shemwell's Barbeque, the downtown Levee, to name a few.

IP Logged

LunaLady

I love Cairo!

Re: Born in Cairo
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 3:39pm

Hi, Amy.

I haven't visited this forum in awhile, but I'm glad I did today.  It's good to see someone from the old neighborhood post.   Welcome.

I grew up on Center Street and knew your grandparents and  I remember you although I was older.   I think my sister was nearer your age.  Your brother and I touch base by phone or email from time to time.  I was a classmate of one of your O'Leary cousins who also grew up on Center and now lives in Louisiana.   

Your grandparents house is still standing on Center and is on the National Historic Register but it really needs someone to work on it.  It was such a charming house and I remember how well they took care of it.  Your grandfather could always be counted on for the weather forecast.   If Mr. McGruder said it would rain, we knew it would.

My husband and I returned to Cairo almost a year ago.  I heartedly recommend it to anyone who wants to slow down and enjoy their retirement.  While it isn't the Cairo it used to be, it's still home and it's still charming and friendly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print